Special Fabrication Project For A Special Forum Member (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That’s awesome. I wish I was capable of building something like that
Very much appreciate it. If not for the toold that were recommended by civilsmoker I'd have never been able to do as nice a job. The tools make all the difference.

Robert

Mighty fine piece of work Robert!
I believe the recipient is gonna absolutely love it!
Hard to tell you couldn't weld till recently!
Thanks so much Ryan. In the short period of time since I first picked up a welder I've done quite a few projects. Practice and the right equipment makes all the difference.

Robert

That's slick. Can the cooking grate be adjsted mid-cook, or do you pick a height based on what you are grilling?
Thank you and yes, the cooking grate can be adjusted during the cook. That was the whole idea behind my original design when I built mine. The versatility of a traditional Santa Maria but doing away with the cables, which are notoriously unreliable. It's a simple design but takes some time to lay out and cut all the notches on the sides of the vertical tower. Those must be very accurate or things just don't line up correctly.

Robert

Awesome fabrication skills! And you have a giving heart! That’s awesome.
Thanks very much Justin. I appreciate it.
Thinking maybe could you, uuumm, possibly, come up with stainless steel toofs?
Not sure if my welder will work with stainless but I could do them out of steel and have them galvanized....for your friend :emoji_laughing:

Robert

• Haha
Reactions: yankee2bbq
Absolute artistry Robert. No one would confuse that with some factory stamped equipment. The quality and attention to detail REALLY show. Good work sir.
Thank you very much for the kind words Don. I try to make all of them different so that each is individual, for the exact reason you noted. If somebody just wanted a same ol' same ol' grill, they could just go grab it off the shelf at some big box store. Every one I've done so far is one of a kind and I strive for that unique factor.

Robert

The movable divider is probably the best option. You might cook for yourself or you might cook for a whole party. It is nice to have the options.
Thank you for the kind words Chris and it's great that you picked up on the usefulness of the dividers. My first SM grill was 36" and after the first few weeks it rarely got used because of the amount of time and fuel it took to fire it up. the dividers are a game changer. I just can't believe I didn't think about them until this project. since doing a set for myself, I've used mine several times. They make it so much more user friendly.

Robert.

Holy Moly Robert!
Is there anything that you can’t do?
To be able to fabricate on the fly is a special gift!
Thanks Al. To be honest, I have not mastered tap dancing yet....but I haven't given up :emoji_laughing: The gift is actually a supportive wife who encourages the hobby and does not object to having the right tools to make it the best I can make it.

Robert

My only question would be: how do you adjust the grill height during a cook.
The kind words are appreciated. Adjusting the grate is actually very simple. Just grab it by the handles (recommend using hot pads just in case), gently pick it up, move to your desired height, and slide it back into the notches. I do it with mine all the time. The design concept when I cam up with it was for functionality, ease of use, and efficiency. It takes a bit of time laying out and cutting all the notches but once done, the grill works like a dream.

Robert

Reactions: GaryHibbert
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky