Special Fabrication Project For A Special Forum Member (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Been somewhat absent recently and here is why. A couple of weeks ago I got notice that a highly respected and prominent forum member was coming to visit. That in itself was an honor but then he asked if I could build him a hybrid Santa Maria grill similar to the one I built for myself. Sure!! I'd love to. The only specification I got from him was the size. From there he just left it up to me. This started out to be just a basic table top grill with no frills or lace. After thinking through it, I decided it needed to be on a cart because he didn't know where the grill was going to live and if there would be counter space to set it up. At this point I started cutting and welding steel. As things came together, I kept coming up with new and different ideas which got incorporated into the build. There are no progress pics because the final product was going to be a surprise for when he got here so I was not expecting to post this. Well, last night he got impatient talked me into sending him the pics so the cat is out of the bag. Here we go....a few pics of the finished grill.

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

008.jpg

You'll notice the dividers in the charcoal pan. Those are movable so the cooking zones can be set up however he wants or can use just a small section of the grill. Heck, after doing these for him I built two for my grill :emoji_wink: That pan is enormous and would take a whole bag of charcoal to fill it up. What a waste for 2 steaks :emoji_laughing: I was also concerned about space constraints and needed to build it in a way to be most efficient but take up as little space as possible, hence the pull out work table and storage drawer. The drawer was actually a total after thought. When I got it built it looked gangly and out of proportion. There was just WAY too much space between the bottom of the cart and the grill. It reminded me of a circus clown on those really tall stilts. Something needed to be done so I decided to do the drawer. It may be an expensive and time consuming frivolity but maybe it'll have some use for him.

Well that's it. I just hope he enjoys it as much as I enjoyed building the thing. This was a fun project.

Robert

Last edited:
Your a special person Robert. That is one fine looking piece of equipment.

Point for sure
Chris

WOW! That is something! What a talent you have. He is lucky to be receiving something made with such a high level of craft. And I am sure it will get the kind of use and care you hope for it!

Been somewhat absent recently and here is why. A couple of weeks ago I got notice that a highly respected and prominent forum member was coming to visit. That in itself was an honor but then he asked if I could build him a hybrid Santa Maria grill similar to the one I built for myself. Sure!! I'd love to. The only specification I got from him was the size. From there he just left it up to me. This started out to be just a basic table top grill with no frills or lace. After thinking through it, I decided it needed to be on a cart because he didn't know where the grill was going to live and if there would be counter space to set it up. At this point I started cutting and welding steel. As things came together, I kept coming up with new and different ideas which got incorporated into the build. There are no progress pics because the final product was going to be a surprise for when he got here so I was not expecting to post this. Well, last night he got impatient talked me into sending him the pics so the cat is out of the bag. Here we go....a few pics of the finished grill.

View attachment 663119
View attachment 663120
View attachment 663122
View attachment 663123
View attachment 663125
View attachment 663126
View attachment 663127

You'll notice the dividers in the charcoal pan. Those are movable so the cooking zones can be set up however he wants or can use just a small section of the grill. Heck, after doing these for him I built two for my grill :emoji_wink: That pan is enormous and would take a whole bag of charcoal to fill it up. What a waste for 2 steaks :emoji_laughing: I was also concerned about space constraints and needed to build it in a way to be most efficient but take up as little space as possible, hence the pull out work table and storage drawer. The drawer was actually a total after thought. When I got it built it looked gangly and out of proportion. There was just WAY too much space between the bottom of the cart and the grill. It reminded me of a circus clown on those really tall stilts. Something needed to be done so I decided to do the drawer. It may be an expensive and time consuming frivolity but maybe it'll have some use for him.

Well that's it. I just hope he enjoys it as much as I enjoyed building the thing. This was a fun project.

Robert
Looks awesome as usual!

Mighty fine piece of work Robert!
I believe the recipient is gonna absolutely love it!
Hard to tell you couldn't weld till recently!

Ryan

View attachment 663119
View attachment 663120
View attachment 663122
View attachment 663123
View attachment 663125
View attachment 663126
View attachment 663127

Robert
Awesome fabrication skills! And you have a giving heart! That’s awesome.

Thinking maybe could you, uuumm, possibly, come up with stainless steel toofs?
Asking for a friend.

Banjo man out.

Absolute artistry Robert. No one would confuse that with some factory stamped equipment. The quality and attention to detail REALLY show. Good work sir.

Don

Looks great Robert, I answered you in the PM before I realized you had already posted this. It looks great of coarse. He will be very pleased with this and many a fine foods will be made on this new grill.

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky