Spatchcooking a turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

blades19

Original poster
Oct 12, 2016
Spatchooking a turkey this weekend for our "friendsgiving". Cooking in an offset smoker. Long time reader, just new to posting. This place has become my bible anytime I am getting ready to smoke something.

Looking for advice on rubs? Temp for smoker? Any other tips in general? 

Soatching is a great way to go. I do all my poultry hot n fast. 325-350. You'll get a nice skin and a subtle smoke flavor. I like to keep the runs simple Salt Pepper Onion Garlic (SPOG).

After spatching the bird air dry it on a rack uncovered in the fridge overnight or at least 8 hours prior to smoking.

Cherry, Apple, pecan, peach, alder are all good choices for wood.

Lately I have been parting out the turkey

Spatch the breast & cut the thighs off.

I run my smoker at 280-300.

Take the breast to 157 & rest on the counter uncovered for 30 minutes.

The carryover cook will bring it up to 165.

Leave the thighs on until they reach 175 IT, then rest them on the counter for 1/2 hour.

The carryover will bring them up to 180.

The breast will be juicy & tender & so will the thighs.

Al

Last edited:
I would assume that a 12 - 15 pound bird would take about 2 - 3 hours at 325 - 350 deg F to hit that IT. Would that be correct?

Also, what is the best way to keep the bird at temp for transporting to someone else's house? My fear is that I would get their and it would have either dried out trying to keep it warm, or would dry out getting it back up to a serving temp.

I would assume that a 12 - 15 pound bird would take about 2 - 3 hours at 325 - 350 deg F to hit that IT. Would that be correct?

Yes

Also, what is the best way to keep the bird at temp for transporting to someone else's house? My fear is that I would get their and it would have either dried out trying to keep it warm, or would dry out getting it back up to a serving temp.

Double wrap in foil. Wrap in towels and place in a cooler. Skin might get a bit limp, but the meat will still be moist. Will keep like this for 3-4 hours.

Would butcher paper work better so as to not let the skin soften up, or would I lose all that nice moisture needed to keep the turkey moist?

Would butcher paper work better so as to not let the skin soften up, or would I lose all that nice moisture needed to keep the turkey moist?

No matter what you wrap it in you'll dog out the skin. Just the nature of transporting.

We travel across town with a bird occasionally. But I plan to be done right before. Then the travel time and set up is the normal rest time. Bird goes in a pan loosely covered and into a cardboard box, no lid. This works for 30-45 minutes.

You may be able to crisp it up a bit under the broiler for a few minutes before serving.

Broiler is a good idea. I plan on cutting it as close as possible to leaving time as possible, but as everyone knows, life happens.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky