Spatchcock Turkey on the Smoker-sure why not!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokeusum

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
So I've done quite a few yardbirds spatched on the smoker so I thought doing a turkey should be (praying) fairly easy...

So far it's taken me almost an hour to get the spine out and crack the sternum. Many tools where utilized! Pretty sure my husband thinks I'm building something.

I'll post the pre-cook bird shortly. I had to put the bird back in the fridge to chill a bit.

Anyone else done this? Tips? Tricks?

Dry the skin super good before hitting the smoker. Hit it with the hair dryer on low. Simple seasoning no oil or butter on or under skin. High temp smoke 325+ if you you can. Spatched is the way to go. I have found that a good knife works best for removing the backbone.

It should be good.

popcorn.gif

Happy smoken.

David

I spatchcocked a turkey for our monthly smoke at work last week, and think it's the way to go, faster cook time and evener heating. Turkey bones are much heavier than chicken and I too had trouble. I wound up using an 8" chefs knife, I found doing a little bit at a time made it easier. Be careful to keep the knife under control so you don't spatchcock yourself
drool.gif

I saw a video on YouTube that suggested using an injector to inject a butter spice mixture under the skin. Worked pretty good and avoided the dark streaks that sometimes result from injecting into the muscle. I do mine at 300 to 325.

I'm doing a nontraditional brisket for my Thanksgiving meal its on and the TBS is flowing. Looking forward to seeing your Qview!

So I've done quite a few yardbirds spatched on the smoker so I thought doing a turkey should be (praying) fairly easy...

So far it's taken me almost an hour to get the spine out and crack the sternum. Many tools where utilized! Pretty sure my husband thinks I'm building something.

I'll post the pre-cook bird shortly. I had to put the bird back in the fridge to chill a bit.

Anyone else done this? Tips? Tricks?

I use an electric knife and get through it with ease - done in two minutes.

We'll it's ready to go in... I seperated the skin from the meat and scraped out the gelatinous fat and rubbed the underside of the skin with a light salt rub and let it sit for a bit in the fridge.

When I pulled it out, prior to seasoning, used paper towels and run it underneath the skin to remove as much salt, moisture, and any other fatty pieces. It was then rubbed with a blend of rub and mayo, inside and out. I use mayo instead of butter because it creates a better skin and juicier bird, well it does with chicken, anyway.

I lay it out with thighs tucked under because it lifts the skin of the meat, creating a pocket of heat between the skin and the meat, and I guess because of the mayo, seems to really lend to great skin and moist meat.

Wish me luck! I'll keep yall posted!!!

We'll it's ready to go in... I seperated the skin from the meat and scraped out the gelatinous fat and rubbed the underside of the skin with a light salt rub and let it sit for a bit in the fridge.

When I pulled it out, prior to seasoning, used paper towels and run it underneath the skin to remove as much salt, moisture, and any other fatty pieces. It was then rubbed with a blend of rub and mayo, inside and out. I use mayo instead of butter because it creates a better skin and juicier bird, well it does with chicken, anyway.

I lay it out with thighs tucked under because it lifts the skin of the meat, creating a pocket of heat between the skin and the meat, and I guess because of the mayo, seems to really lend to great skin and moist meat.

Wish me luck! I'll keep yall posted!!!

That sounds awesome!!! Can't wait to see this one!!! :popcorn

Looks great! Nice smoke! People always complain about a spatched bird not being presentable! Your's I'd be happy to see anytime at a table I was sitting at!

Smoke away!!!

Yes , looks like a Success and it looks Marvelous.

I do Mayo on Corn when I roast it (smoke) , and love it , I will try this on Fowl... Thanks
icon14.gif

Gonna be a great Thanksgiving at the Smokeusome Household.

Have fun and . . .

Yes , looks like a Success and it looks Marvelous.

I do Mayo on Corn when I roast it (smoke) , and love it , I will try this on Fowl... Thanks Thumbs Up

Gonna be a great Thanksgiving at the Smokeusome Household.

Have fun and . . .

Oh the mayo thing is a total score... I use it one EVERYYTHING now. Really, mayo is nothing more then egg yolks, a vinager and an oil... That's the total trifecta of everything a meat needs to become tender, seal in juices and be juicy, wanna sweet hint add honey... i use mayo in or on every meat I cook, now.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky