Spatchcock Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I, too used to Q up a rotisserie chicken on my Weber. Came out great, Once, my bird mount set screws got loose and the bird stopped spinning. A true pain to fix.
My problem was I could never remember all the steps in trussing the bird correctly, so a wing or a leg would come loose and flop around on the bottom of the grill. Not a problem with spatchcocking!

Educate me on a spatchcock chicken? A google search shows how to remove the back bone, turn it over and crack the breast. This is what I did. The back bone is only about 3/4" wide.
Yes. The crew has you pointed in the right direction. It should lay flat as if it were two halves just still attached at the breast. Yours sure looks still in the round.
At the end of the day it still looks like a tasty bird!

Reactions: TNJAKE
Yes. The crew has you pointed in the right direction. It should lay flat as if it were two halves just still attached at the breast. Yours sure looks still in the round.
At the end of the day it still looks like a tasty bird!
I missed that the entire backbone was not removed. When the bird lies flat on the grill, cook time is substantially reduced, at least that's been my experience. I can cook a medium-sized spatchcocked chicken in 45 minutes to an hour. Using the rotisserie approach, the same bird would take twice as long to cook.

I missed that the entire backbone was not removed. When the bird lies flat on the grill, cook time is substantially reduced, at least that's been my experience. I can cook a medium-sized spatchcocked chicken in 45 minutes to an hour. Using the rotisserie approach, the same bird would take twice as long to cook.
I believe the cook time was extended because the grill is so small, that I had to use indirect heat. I had a meat thermometer in the thigh and cooked to temperature. Can't remove early. When I used an old Weber, with direct heat, cook time was about 45 minutes. The bird weighed in at 4.5 pounds.
I thought I cut out the entire backbone, but really not sure. The bird, did indeed lay flat.
At this point, all that matters is that the bird tasted great, looked great and was moist. I will look closer at how I cut out the back bone the next time.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky