Spatchcock Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TunaciousBBQ28

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 10, 2021
I cooked a Spatchcock Chicken on a small Nexgen charcoal grill. I used B&B coals and indirect heat. This grill is very small and the cooking grate is only 4" above the coal rack. This is why I went indirect. This is my first time using B&B coals. That is another thread topic. I had the chimney wide open and used the lower vents to control grill temp to 275 to 300 degrees F. Started with 15 coals and second batch was 9 coals.
2013-12-31 23.00.00-2.jpg
2013-12-31 23.00.00-2.jpg
2013-12-31 23.00.00-3.jpg
The cook was 1 hour 45 minutes. Pulled when thigh was at 170.

Great color on that for sure . I'm with Jake , looks like a whole bird .
Nice work either way .

Reactions: TNJAKE
Most excellent looking chicken. Makes me want to cook one myself today!

My "go to" approach for chicken used to be rotisserie on my Weber Genesis gas grill. Results were always pretty good, but trussing the bird and mounting it on the rotisserie was a pain for me. That led me to try spatchcocking. I won't look back. I get the same great color and skin crispness, plus way shorter cook times, plus no fiddling with trussing.

If I had a charcoal grill, I'd try your approach!

Agreed. Good looking bird to me, but yeah- that's not spatchcocked.
Educate me on a spatchcock chicken? A google search shows how to remove the back bone, turn it over and crack the breast. This is what I did. The back bone is only about 3/4" wide.

Most excellent looking chicken. Makes me want to cook one myself today!

My "go to" approach for chicken used to be rotisserie on my Weber Genesis gas grill. Results were always pretty good, but trussing the bird and mounting it on the rotisserie was a pain for me. That led me to try spatchcocking. I won't look back. I get the same great color and skin crispness, plus way shorter cook times, plus no fiddling with trussing.

If I had a charcoal grill, I'd try your approach!
I, too used to Q up a rotisserie chicken on my Weber. Came out great, Once, my bird mount set screws got loose and the bird stopped spinning. A true pain to fix.

Educate me on a spatchcock chicken? A google search shows how to remove the back bone, turn it over and crack the breast. This is what I did. The back bone is only about 3/4" wide.
Near impossible to remove the backbone and leave the tail attached. I circled in pic
2013-12-31 23.00.00-2~2.jpg

A spatchcock bird will lay completely flat like this
20190126_163100.jpg

Okay. I get your point. I used a pair of poultry shears to cut the back bone out. How did I mess up? Did I cut the wrong side of the bird?
First off nobody here is knocking you. Just trying to educate. If you cut the spine side and completely removed the spine from beginning to end then you did right. Try a wider cut next time. Then you want to pull the bird apart, lay it flat and push on the breasts. You will hear the breast bone break

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky