Man I detest dry chicken...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I also have some Tony Chachere's roasted garlic injection and I am contemplating giving the bird the juice before cooking it...
Yes . Pump it as full as you can get it , and leave overnight .
I use Pop's brine injected and soaked . Did one yesterday cut in half . Cooked on the Pellet grill cut side down . Pulled when the breast was 162 , thigh joint was 180 .
Always good .

Chicken is all juiced up and will sit in the fridge for a few hours. Then I will start a fire and get the rotisserie set up, give the chicken a good granulated garlic, granulated onion and fresh ground black pepper rub and spin the bird over mesquite.

Well hopefully you will like this 1 better, have cooked 2 briskets that were within 1 lb of each other side by side and treated the same rubs, 1 turn out great and the other dry even though cooked to same temp, no 2 cuts are ever the same for me lol. looking forward for the review. been a long time since I cooked anything with mesquit, need to correct that.

Reactions: Retired Spook
I use one of three to cook chicken. All do a really good job for moist chicken. One gives off the nice charcoal taste and that would be my old Pit Barral Cooker. Next for outdoor cooking I would use my Char-Broil Big Easy Oil-Less Liquid Propane Turkey Fryer which produces very mist chicken. For indoor cooks in my opinion you cannot get any better chicken then from a Air Fryer. I have not yet set up a rotisserie in my Pit Barral Cooker but plan on it soon. All of the above are pretty much set it and forget it.

Removing the back bone did allow more heat to penetrate the bird and I suspect contributed to the dryness. No question putting a whole bird on a spinner will yield a better moist bird due to the self basting process. Personally, I would wet brine it for at least 4 hours first, then put it on the rotisserie.

Reactions: chopsaw
Chicken spinning over a mesquite fire...

It looks juicy!
IMG_2135.JPG

Man when I cut the thing open the Tony C's gushed out! I never seen anything like it - I think I may have injected a little too much...
IMG_2136.JPG

It certainly was the juiciest chicken I ever ate. A little strong on the garlic and maybe a bit more sugar than I would prefer, but no doubt it was juicy as ****!

I think I am going to try some lightly salted chicken stock next time for the injection and see what I think.

Much better than that leather I cooked last week! :emoji_thumbsup:

Ok so I cut up the left overs to refrigerate, and discard the carcass, and, that was the best tasting cold chicken I have ever eaten. Still amazed how after cooling down, when I cut the remaining breast off the carcass the Tony C's was obvious! I am sure I used too much but I never knew a chicken could retain that much liquid.

I will try the Tony C's again but maybe be a bit more frugal with it! 🫡

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Nothing wrong with a chicken spitting a little juice back at ya. It sounds like you hit paydirt RS. Nicely done

Chris

Chicken spinning over a mesquite fire...

It looks juicy!
View attachment 683228

Man when I cut the thing open the Tony C's gushed out! I never seen anything like it - I think I may have injected a little too much...
View attachment 683229

It certainly was the juiciest chicken I ever ate. A little strong on the garlic and maybe a bit more sugar than I would prefer, but no doubt it was juicy as ****!

I think I am going to try some lightly salted chicken stock next time for the injection and see what I think.

Much better than that leather I cooked last week! :emoji_thumbsup:

Congrats on the success!

Yeah injecting and/or brining does wonders to chicken breast and whole birds.

I'm quite sure your salted chicken stock being injected will work well.
I say this because I mix a 1.65% salt equilibrium brine or cure all the time with birds (including chicken weight in calculations) and I inject that solution as well as soak the bird in it and it works perfectly every time.

I look forward to seeing what you land on and the next juicy chicken breast you cook up :D

Looks like no more dry chickens for you! I am a dark meat guy but the breasts can be gold if brined or otherwise. Strong work!

I really like the butter creole injection, i do turkeys with it. Glad this 1 turned out great. Sky's the limit now with injections lol

I haven't tried it on a whole chicken over fire but when I fry chicken I usually brine it in pickle juice. It not only makes it juicy but adds a great flavor.

Whats a good brine for leg quarters or thighs on a electric smoker
What I do and I followed our good buddy chopsaw chopsaw ( which I think came from Pop's and he twicked it a bit ) and I love this with chicken.
I use it in my propane smoker, charcoal and on my BBQ. so should work on your electric smoker.

It is a great fowl moistener , try it at least once and you will be hooked.

I use it all the time . I like the low salt version . I just mixed some up today for a whole chicken .
Per the 1 gallon of water I use :
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 TBLS cure one
Optional - 1/2 tsp lemon extract . ( for poultry )

David

Hoity-toity organic free-range air-chilled chicken, backbone sheared out, breast bone broken. Kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, granulated garlic, granulated onion and a sprinkle of smoked paprika - then, onto a low, post oak & mesquite fire, for a nice slow cook...
View attachment 682621

Side A was looking pretty good, my hopes were high.
View attachment 682620

Even side B looked tasty...
View attachment 682622

Cooked it until meat thermometer read 160 at thickest, let it rest a bit, and then I was completely disgusted...
View attachment 682623

I fricken hate dry chicken. 😬

I've NEVER had a chicken breast turn out good over coals; I should have known better.
Sorry it didn't turn out. I only do chicken once or twice a year when mama says "smoke a chicken, I'm making Brunswick stew". Sadly I've never tasted the direct results, but the stew is wodermous. Always cook standing (on a can type device" one of few uses for my MES 30.

beer chicken.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky