Spares and Spares

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bmudd14474

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 1, 2008
Florida
Weather is getting nicer and I got a good deal on some spares so why not.

Let me say these are the most difficult ones I have done in a while because 2 of my kids received their food allergy results and lets say the list is long. No apple, gluten, dairy, strawberry, and so on. Thankfully my rub meets these guidelines but trying to make a spritz that I like was the challenge for today.

Well I found one that taste great. Its a mix of dr pepper, pure tart cherry juice, and grenadine. Im very curious as to how the flavor holds up for the finished product.

Started the ribs at 1100 PDT. Running the smoker at 235-250° running pitmaster blend pellets. Coated in my rub. No mustard or binder.

Screenshot_20220312-125817_Gallery.jpg

Here they are at 1230

Screenshot_20220312-125801_Gallery.jpg

More updates to come.

What if you used Cherry Dr. Pepper?

Looking good so far and allergies are a challenge!
I have and the cherry flavor didn't come thru like I wanted and that was part of the desire to make what I made hoping for more cherry to compliment the flavor profile.

Reactions: kilo charlie
I have and the cherry flavor didn't come thru like I wanted and that was part of the desire to make what I made hoping for more cherry to compliment the flavor profile.

Good call! Watching to see how it works out!

I just finished snow blowing the driveway. So I'm sitting back and watching this cook.

Point in advance
Chris

Yes sir looks great !
How did you like the flavor?

Keith

Keith,

I got what I was looking for in this one. I have always had a balance of heat, sweet, and salt but this added just a little tart to it and balanced it out really well. Definitely will work on this to refine it more.

Reactions: 912smoker
Brian I came in late for this , so I got to see it all in one sitting .....real nice

It must be a challenge to work with the allergies, but you pulled it off by the looks of this.

Great ribs and beans. Nothing wrong with that ( but I don't think I could wait for 45 minutes lol )

We really like cherry flavor also, I made my Cherry/Rhubarb jam last season and 1 batch came out too thick for
using as regular jam so I use it on/in lots of cooks and in tarts' and things
I have also used it as a glaze.....great flavor

So maybe a nice cherry jam for part of the glaze if the ingredients work with the allergies

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky