sparerib weekend

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pappyvic

Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
well guys going to try my hand at pork spareribs this weekend. the last time i did baby backs and used the 3-2-1 method and they were a little dry. any suggestions?

Try doing babybacks at 2-2-1....3-2-1 is more for spares. Try doing a spritz every hour or so with juice or cola.Then when you foil hit em again with some juice and foil tightly.You can also increase your foil time to help to tenderize them more. Like a 2.5-3-1.5 something along those lines. Thats the fun of smoking is to play around and see what works for you!!! Good luck and don't forget the qview!!

start with 3-2-1 and adjust next time. You wont be disappointed.

keeping the heat low and steady helps with mine, get better color in them also.  (200-225) I don't use the foil anymore just keep the heat lower. Play around and you will find the best way for your smoker.  I have a small book I keep rough notes in for things like this.  Outside temp and humidity and temp control.  Mainly because I can hardly remember my own name the note 'clarify' things for me.

Good luck and make sure to add the photos. 
drool.gif

I'm with SmokeyMo, I don't foil anymore. I just cook at a lower temp and use the bend test to know when they are done.

You know guys....I like the foiling okay but I just don't get the bark I want!  I love a nice crispy bark along with a nice juicy rib that bites clean off the bone.  Not falling off the bone, biting clean off the bone!  I've had success both ways.

Spareribs - Yellow mustard & brown sugar topped with a good dry rubs - low and slow indirect heat 3-4 hours

You know guys....I like the foiling okay but I just don't get the bark I want!  I love a nice crispy bark along with a nice juicy rib that bites clean off the bone.  Not falling off the bone, biting clean off the bone!  I've had success both ways.
Try foiling, then instead of putting them back in the smoker after the foil put them on a hot grill and sauce them. The outside gets nice and caramelized with a crispy bite, but the inside stays nice and tender - best of both worlds!

Reactions: pgsmoker64
Sorry, meant to comment on the "quote"

Anyway, Thanks JR...I've tried that before and it's okay, but I found that if I do a 2-1.5-1.5 I still get the tenderness and a better bark, and I don't have to fire up the grill.  :)

CAN ANY 1 TELL ME WHAT ALL THEM NUMBERS MEANS? AND ALL THE DIFFERENT VARIATIONS? HA! I'M 75 YRS YOUNG AND STILL NOT MUCH SMARTS LOL

3-2-1 method is a way to smoke ribs from start to finish. 3-2-1 represents the amount of hours the rack of ribs cook at each stage. In other words, the ribs smoke for 3 hours, wrap for 2 hours and cooks without smoke for the last hour. Total, the ribs will spend 6 hours on the cooker.

Of course people vary these numbers for different reasons (ie: 2-2-1 method because you're doing baby back vice spare or because your ribs are dry) but the method is the same. The first number is the amt of time smoked, second is amt of time wrapped, and 3rd is amt of time unwrapped without smoke

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky