South African Droewors

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
AKA Drywors.

This is a small 2 pound batch of 97/3, very lean so you dont have a greasy wors.

Using the following. The wors mix is of my own with a bit of hot chili powder in it.
Didnt measure out anything but the cure.
sad.jpg

sad1.jpg

Mixed the cure in with the droewors mix.
Apply the dry in layers, then mix and repeate.
sad2.jpg

sad3.jpg

Next mix in the vinegar, mix in good.
sad4.jpg

Now cover and fridge for couple hours.
Going to use 13mm collagen as i didnt get the sheep conditioned.
sad5.jpg

BBL

Stuffing time.

Using my cheapo German hand stuffer, works great on small batches. I did have to improvise and put my 3/8 tube into the plastic as the plastic is tapered.
20220413_115827.jpg

20220413_120315.jpg

Hanging in my BT drum. No heat just the top fan blowing.
20220413_125849.jpg

Should take bout 4-5 days.
20220413_130942.jpg

The one thing I am still trying to figure out with BT, Droewors and such, how do you keep bugs out/away ?
We are coming into spring weather and the annual ant invasion. Flies and gnats can also be a problem at times.
Maybe I should bide my time til winter to start this journey.

Mo.....I have screens over the vents at the bottom and the fan. I didnt have no bug problem even in FL. Must be the circulation keeping them away?

inda....the fan is from the back of my old rv fridge (pc fanish) about 3-4 cfm. I can flip it to either blow or draw. Right now its flipped to blow down so the circulation goues over and thru the bottom vents.

SE....I get the 13mm at Dupey in Iowa. They dont have them all the time though, gotta ask if they do.

AKA Drywors.

This is a small 2 pound batch of 97/3, very lean so you dont have a greasy wors.

Using the following. The wors mix is of my own with a bit of hot chili powder in it.
Didnt measure out anything but the cure.
View attachment 629070

View attachment 629071

Mixed the cure in with the droewors mix.
Apply the dry in layers, then mix and repeate.
View attachment 629072

View attachment 629073

Next mix in the vinegar, mix in good.
View attachment 629074

Now cover and fridge for couple hours.
Going to use 13mm collagen as i didnt get the sheep conditioned.
View attachment 629075

BBL

About to try my 1st batch of wors. I have a bit of billies hanging at the moment. Do you notice a big difference when using collagen VS sheep. I am trying to figure out what casing to use.Is one easier than the other and is there a noticable difference in taste/texture of finished wors?
What cut of beef did you use. I am thinking of stew beef/chuck.

Thanks.

Reactions: BGKYSmoker
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky