South African Droewors

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Droewors originated in SA. AKA: Beef jerky sausage. Some pronouns it drywors.

I'm using mix from Crown National. Has everything in it. You can mix in dry or with water. I used both and some cure just to be safe.
d.jpg

Finally got my heat lamp in my barrel. Wont use it for the droewors, just had to flip my fan over so it blows in.
d1.jpg

d2.jpg

The meat needs to be lean. I use 93/7 GB. I have also used lamb before.
d4.jpg

Mixed the dry with water and a splash of worcy sauce. Also some cure.
d3.jpg

After mixing the liquid i sprinkled on 1 T of the dry.
d5.jpg

All mixed up and going to get a few hours fridge time before the barrel hanging. These should take about 6-7 days and will turn dark.
Going with some smoked collagen 19mm later today.
d6.jpg

Watching. I like droewors. Lived in Joberg over 20 yrs ago. I miss many things but the food & wine is at the top of the missed list. Cooked many a boerewor on the braai. We at a lot of droewors & biltong with Castle beer. Good times. Looking forward to seeing your finished product.

Not using the heater coil, its pretty warm here for the next week. The fan is a pc fan and barly blows, its 12v so its just plugged in.

d7.jpg

This is hot boiling water with 1 cup vinegar added. The droewors are being dipped in the solution before hanging. Sorry no pics as im solo today.
d8.jpg

Hanging, looking at around 6-7 days.
d9.jpg

Going to say 4 more days on the droewors.
dwor.jpg

I got 16 pounds of 90/10 ground beef yesterday. Going to make some more of these except use some cure 2.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky