Sous Vide/Grilled Pheasant Breast with Apricot Balsamic Butter reduction

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
With the nice spring weather we are having, time for dinners with friends! We sat outside and ate enjoying the nice breeze, the cool temps., and the smell of lemon tree blooms. I have cooked this before, but it has been 2 years since the last time I made it.....too long!

I dried the meat, then seasoned the pheasant breasts with sea salt an CBP. In a vac bag, then in the sous vide bath @140*F for 4 hours.
IMG_20220321_130538.jpg

Then I sliced some Calabrian Coppa and Beef Braesola for the board, along with some Parmesan and Asiago Cheese...
IMG_20220321_165930.jpg

Toasted crustinis for bruschetta.
IMG_20220321_165934.jpg

Made the pecan rice and sauteed baby bella mushrooms. Prepped the veggies for the grill.
IMG_20220321_171525.jpg

Then got the sauce going...1/4c. Balsamic and 1/4c. apricot pepper jelly. reduce by half
IMG_20220321_175618.jpg

Chop the rosemary and basil fresh from the herb garden.
IMG_20220321_175630.jpg

45 minutes out, put veggies on the grill. When the sous vide timer is up, pull the breasts, pat dry, coat with a little olive oil for the grill. pour juice from sous vide bag in the sauce pan along with the herbs...
IMG_20220321_183623.jpg

reduce by 1/2 then finish sauce with 4TBSPS. butter..
IMG_20220321_184853.jpg

1.5 minute sear on each side @400 on the green egg...
IMG_20220321_184647.jpg

And Done:
IMG_20220321_190310.jpg

IMG_20220321_190314.jpg

Served with a nice French Chenin Blanc wine.
IMG_20220321_190420.jpg

And fresh picked that day Louisiana strawberries and French vanilla Ice cream for dessert.
IMG_20220321_201438.jpg

Last edited:
Hell yeah Keith you nailed it. Whole meal looks amazing. Nice job on the charcuterie. I'm a big fan of pheasant

Stay safe during the storms today!

WOW KEITH!! That is one of the most amazing meals I've ever seen. I'd give a pint of blood and my first born child for an opportunity to sit down to a meal like that. Beautiful job sir!!

Robert

• Wow
Reactions: bauchjw
From the charcuterie to the dessert an absolutely astounding culinary effort, huge like! I collected hundreds of roosters hunting over my English Springer Spaniels for a couple of decades, something about apricot that it just pairs perfectly with the bird. Fantastic piece of work Keith, five star! RAY

Beautiful meal Inda. I'd be proud to belly up to a plate.

Point for sure
Chris

Hell yeah Keith you nailed it. Whole meal looks amazing. Nice job on the charcuterie. I'm a big fan of pheasant

Stay safe during the storms today!
Thanks Bud! The coppa has aged over a year in the fridge. The flavor profile has gone absolutely bonkers! Nutty, buttery, savory, and sweet. Literally melts in your mouth.

WOW KEITH!! That is one of the most amazing meals I've ever seen. I'd give a pint of blood and my first born child for an opportunity to sit down to a meal like that. Beautiful job sir!!

Robert
Thank Robert! LOL! If I am able to make it to Jake's I will make this dish, but it will have to be Turkey breast cutlets. Chicken just does not do well with the sauce.

WOW is right...... That is a nice meal!
Thanks civilsmoker!

From the charcuterie to the dessert an absolutely astounding culinary effort, huge like! I collected hundreds of roosters hunting over my English Springer Spaniels for a couple of decades, something about apricot that it just pairs perfectly with the bird. Fantastic piece of work Keith, five star! RAY
Thanks Ray! And you are 100% correct! Both Apricot and peach were made for pheasant.

Beautiful meal Inda. I'd be proud to belly up to a plate.

Point for sure
Chris
Thanks Chris!

Right there is a $100 a plate at a fancy establishment, wine extra. Looks incredible.
Thanks Sven!

Nice lookin plate . Very nice .
Thanks chopsaw!

That's some mighty Tasty looking stuff, right there!!!
Nice Job Inda!
Like.

Bear
Thanks Bear!

Holy crap!

You can't be postin' that without inviting everyone over!
I only had 4 pheasant breasts so limited seating at the table...

What an amazing meal! From the appetizer, to the main course, to dessert, you sure nailed it.

What an amazing meal! From the appetizer, to the main course, to dessert, you sure nailed it.
Thanks DougE! It was very good! Got another meal planned tomorrow night with my Uncle...stay tuned for the pics...

Everything looks great Keith.

Pro chef's run and hide when they see you coming.
I'm blushing one eyed jack...thank you for the kind words. Though I feel like I know my way around a kitchen, I have burnt my share of pots and pans. No way I can match the culinary skill of a 5 star chef...they are just on a different level. But I keep pushing the envelope with my skills and knowledge. Salumi was uncharted territory for me; and it absolutely fascinates me how microbes can trasform the flavor profile inside meat when it is done properly.

FYI, if you have never had that pecan rice...it is excellent! Sometimes I will toast pecans and chop them to fold in after the rice is done cooking. It is also really good if you add 1 TBSP. of orange zest when you cook the rice, then add the pecans! Very good side with fowl.

Man! That is “French Laundry” level food, flavors and presentation! Are you going for a Michelin Star? You have my vote! I love pheasant, but I have never had it that nice! Awesome work!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky