Sous Vide Bone-In Ribeye

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Co4ch D4ve

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 30, 2017
Cincinnati, Ohio
What started as a normal steak dinner turned into a new adventure.

My wife picked up four nice bone-in ribeyes for the grill. I normally do a reverse sear in the smoker. 40 minutes in the smoker and about 10 minutes over the hot coals.

Well... This is what the smoker looks like today (I’ve got to get her in the garage soon).
2ADE60D6-F565-4196-9B46-A6AD17ABCF69.jpeg

So I decided to break out the sous vide. I have not done steaks in the sous vide yet. Let’s give them a hot bath...

Two steaks per vacuum bag with a pad of butter on each and into the sous vide for 2 1/2 hours @ 131°.
1C3F8192-320E-416D-A815-503C4E73F4F0.jpeg

After a 2 1/2 hour bath they are out...
C1CDEB99-9BB4-4C86-ACB5-72727AF569C8.jpeg

I seasoned with a steak rub that I normally do not use. I usually use Blackened Redfish Magic on steaks and chops but I’m out. Went with what I had...
1B8776E7-BE8C-4919-81AF-B3C7FB3BDE81.jpeg

I fired up the firebox of my offset and used the grill above to sear the steaks as I usually do.

Here they are as the family enjoyed them.
15B8AA45-B5BF-4079-937A-79AE442BA63C.jpeg

They turned out awesome. My wife said it was one of the best steaks ever. I agree. It had the tenderness of a filet but the flavor of a ribeye.

If you haven’t tried Sous Vide, give it a shot. You will like it!

Thanks for looking...
Dave

Last edited:
They turned out awesome. My wife said it was one of the best steaks ever. I agree. It had the tenderness of a filet but the flavor of a ribeye.
I know how good that was because been there done that . Makes a fantastic steak . Great job .

Yup, looks great. I havent tried SV steaks yet.
You're going to be surprised how good it is .

Dave look at the chuck roast cooks that are done at 130 for 24 / 30 hours . Comes out like prime rib . @Bearcarver has some posted in his steps , and I have some posted using his info guide lines .

Nice job on the ribeyes .

Those steaks look perfect. I've SV'd a chucky, which was awesome. Having a hard time figuring out why I want to poach a steak for 2.5 hrs then sear, when I can just grill over wood for 5 to 7 minutes total.

Just did 2 boneless ribeyes for my dad and I tonight with my Anova sous vide that I got for Black Friday. Just used salt and pepper. One of the best steaks I have ever had, Dad said the same. Great recommendation!

Reactions: Scott Eisenbraun
I did a comparison cook a couple of weeks ago. Prime rib roasts were on sale at a local grocer that week. We got a 4 pounder and she cooked it her normal way in the oven using an old Cook's Illustrated recipe. We've always had good results using that recipe. Turns out looking good from the oven, but it was tougher than my mother-in-law's heart. Several days go by, the prime rib is still on sale, and I buy another 4 pounder. This time I put it in the sous vide bath Saturday at lunch with the aim of eating it for Sunday afternoon. I seasoned with Bolner's Prime Rib rub and a little buttah. 30 hours later it was out of the bath, and I used my Searzall to quickly sear the roast. Sliced up and plated with gratin potatoes, and it was fork tender. Now, it could have been I just got a tough cut of meat the first time, but I'm thinking not.

Reactions: chopsaw
I agree about having doubts of doing steak this way... I’ve done a lot of other cuts with a Sous Vide and loved them all. The timing was right with the cold and snow so I just went for it. Give it a try and you will be a believer! The best thing is you can fine tune the cook to exact temperature and doneness. I went for medium rare and it was perfect.

Here is a cut shot...
1E257B23-8889-4F18-9499-5B15A9F9212A.jpeg

Reactions: Scott Eisenbraun
Well, I have more time on my hands now that I retired. Might as well do this SV steak thing and decide for ourselves. The wife still can't believe it took 30 hrs to make a chuck roast. She does admit it was a darn good chuck.

I know what you mean about the Bama rub... I’m a Buckeye grad.

It will just rub you the wrong way for a while:D, and you wouldn't want to use a rub made from a buckeye anyway.

Seriously those steaks look great, I'd be more then happy to eat some of that.

Point for sure.
Chris

Reactions: 6GRILLZNTN
The time and temperature for the Sous Vide is determined by the cut of meat and the doneness preferred.

Steaks don’t need much time in the Sous Vide as they are already tender. To make them safe, I go about 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 hours for a steak at 131° for medium rare. Then a quick sear to finish. Increase the temp for a more well done steak. Don’t go over 4 hour on a steak as they start to loose their texture over 4 hours.

Chuck roasts and other tough cuts need more time at a higher temperature to become tender. I go 30 hours at 160° for fork tender chuckies.

Bearcarver has a bunch of posts in this step-by-steps about his experiments with different cooks. Well worth the read.

Hope this helps, Dave

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky