Sous Vide beef back ribs first attempt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

remsr

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 8, 2014
Woodbury Minnesota St Paul)
Got around 70 pounds of beef back ribs last year and still have about 20 lbs so I decided to make some rich beef stock out of one rack. Problem is that they come two racks to a vacuum packed package.

Don't look like much in the picture but those suckers are huge each rack has 7 bones and measure 17" x 7". It's not quite hot smoking season here in MN. At least not for me, but I thought this mighty be a good time to try cooking beef back ribs Sous Vide style. I haven't been pleased with the way they have been coming out of the smokers and the corned beef came out so well that I thought this might be the ticket.
I would have preferred to put some smoke on them before cooking them but I needed to get this done so I mixed some liquid smoke with some Worcestershire and slathered both sides, then costed them with a good rub, vacuum sealed them and in the Sous Vide pot they went at 135 degrees for 48 hours. Here they are after 48 hours.

I removed them from the vacuum bags and pulled the mimbrane and fat from the bone side then reseasoned both sides and then slathered both sides with a smoky barbecue sauce and put them on a hot 600 degree grill for a couple minutes on each side.
Here they are on the grill.

Now for the test, tender, juicy and tasty like a med. rear prime rib on a stick. From now on the Sous Vide will be the way I'll do my beef back ribs, but I will pull the membrane before cooking next time and smoke them for a couple hours before I vacuum seal them. Even though they did come out fantastic.
I really didn't get a chance to put a pretty plate together but here they are plated.

Thanks for looking,

Randy,

Your ribs look fantastic Randy!

Bet they would have really been good if you had a chance to put some smoke on them first!

Congrats on making the carousel!

Point!

Al

Thanks Al, I might cook them at little higher temp next time to see how they come out, some people don't like med rear, can you imagine that? The boss loves med rear but she kept asking. "Are you sure these are done" as she canibleized them, after cooking 48 hours, yah I'm sure. Because of her cancer she can't eat uncooked meats or Anything past it's out date because of possible bacteria. Sous Vide cooking eliminates that possibility.

Randy,

Randy, I agree with you, sous vide ribs are something special. I recently cooked some extra meaty elk ribs sous vide, 145° for 36 hours, finished in the oven, added a layer of smoke with the hand held prior to service. They were very good, tender, juicy, pull off the bone, unlike what has come off the grill or out of the smokers.

Point for being an adventurist.

T

Ribs look great.
So I have a question I have seen different post using this machine but all are different Temps and times are you following a guide or just the swag method (scientific wild ass guess) for those who don't know what the swag method is.

Hi Weev,
We all pretty much know what inturnel temp relates to the different degrees of doneness which is how I determined where to set the Sous Vide. We like med rear so I set it at 135 degrees the length of time Which was 48 hours I had to consult a guide to determine since I am new at cooking Sous Vide.
In answer to your question no I don't guess at the settings I research them on line if I can't find them in the guide that came with the cooker.

Randy,

Gotcha thanks for the answer I was trying to figure that out. Makes sense maybe I should start reading directions more. [emoji]128077[/emoji]

Ribs look great.
So I have a question I have seen different post using this machine but all are different Temps and times are you following a guide or just the swag method (scientific wild ass guess) for those who don't know what the swag method is.
Sometimes there is a bit of SWAG to it. How many times have we searched the internet or cookbooks for a recipe or method and found several different things? Not long ago I was looking at short rib methods for Sous Vide and found cook times from 24 to 72 hours. They seemed to agree on temps, so I took a SWAG and went 28 hours. They could have gone more, but they were fine. I tend to do vegetables longer than most recipes call for. After a while you kind of get a feel for how you like certain things.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky