Sourdough Rye

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
All my Rye attempts have ended up as croutons . Which were good , but hard to make a sandwich .
I agree , sounds great . Be watching .

Brian, make it all the time (well a lot anyway). I make mine using a firm starter (pre-ferment). Takes two days to make. Be happy to post or send you the recipe if you like.
sourdough.png

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
My wife Judy makes it all the time!
It’s just awesome!
She has starter from the 1800’s.
Wow! From 1800's? I tried to keep my starter alive in the fridge feeding it every 7 days and it was OK for three-four month. One time I forgot to feed it and is stayed there for abut two weeks so.... it got spoiled....
Any chance you can share your wife recipe for rye bread?

OK guys I’ll try to find it in my recipe index, otherwise I will have to type out the whole thing.
Al

One time I forgot to feed it and is stayed there for abut two weeks so.... it got spoiled....
Any chance you can share your wife recipe for rye bread?

I go sometimes 2 months without feeding. It always comes right back. What make you think it was spoiled? It does get that alcohol on top but just stir it back in.

Reactions: pushok2018
I took a photo out of her cookbook. I hope you can read it. BTW Judy feeds her starter every week.
Here is the original recipe from Allrecipes:
9E2494FA-4BAB-4649-817A-D6A5073F3A43.jpeg

And this is the variation that Judy uses.
C48FDE72-A047-4653-AE11-D6EAF1E86459.jpeg

This bread is really good!
RB 2-20-16 9.JPG

RB 2-20-16 10.JPG

Attachments

• RB 2-20-16 9.JPG
    RB 2-20-16 9.JPG
    188.7 KB · Views: 9
Brian, make it all the time (well a lot anyway). I make mine using a firm starter (pre-ferment). Takes two days to make. Be happy to post or send you the recipe if you like.
I trying to bring back my firm rye starter, 66% hydration. Been in fridge probably a year. I took 30 grams and doubled it and put in proofing box. Will see what happens. What is your recipe?

Could you please explain what is "pre-ferment"
A pre-ferment is when a small portion of dough is made "in advance" and allowed to ferment for a long while (12 to 24 hours). It is then incorporated into the rest of the ingredients. The benefit is that the preferment allows for the development of alcohol and bacteria which ultimately adds more flavor and complexity to the final bread.

My recipe is below. I am a big proponent of weighing ingredients instead of by volume; it's more precise and gives me more consistent results. The kneading part is critical. When finished, your bread should pass the "window pane test". Sometimes more kneading is necessary than indicated below. I alternate between using a dough hook on my mixer and using the "stretch and fold" method. Both work equally well.

My starter is 100% hydration. If you maintain a more stiff starter, you will have to adjust the water in the firm starter process.

Sourdough Rye Bread
INGREDIENTS
FIRM STARTER
  • 7 oz Sourdough Starter
  • 4.5 oz white rye flour
  • 4 oz water
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
FINAL DOUGH
  • 16 oz bread flour or flour combination
  • 4.5 oz white rye flout
  • 2 tbs brown sugar
  • 2.25 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp instant yeast
  • 2 tsp caraway seeds (optional)
  • 2 tbsp shortening or vegetable oil
  • 8 oz milk or buttermilk (warmed)
  • 2 to 4 oz lukewarm water
INSTRUCTIONS
MAKING FIRM STARTER
  • Add rye flour, warmed starter, and water to bowl and mix together just until flour is hydrated.
  • If using onions, saute over medium heat until they just begin to sweat
  • Let onions cool
  • Add onions to the starter, place firm starter in small, oiled bowl and cover
  • Ferment at room temperature about 4 hours or until at least double in size.
  • Place in refrigerator over night (at least 12 hours)
MAKING DOUGH
  • Remove firm starter from refrigerator
  • Cut starter into 10 small pieces, mist with oil, cover, and let warm up at least an hour
  • In 4 qt bowl, stir together flours, brown sugar, yeast, caraway seeds, and salt
  • Add starter pieces, shortening, and milk
  • Stir, adding just enough water to bring everything together into a soft but not sticky ball
  • Let rest 5 minutes for gluten to begin to form
  • If using mixer and dough hook, mix 4 to 5 minutes low speed. Adjust flour and water as needed.
  • If by hand, use pull and stretch or knead by hand 12 to 15 minutes
  • Place dough in large oiled bowl, coat with oil, cover with plastic wrap
  • Let Ferment 1.5 to 2 hours or until nearly double in size
FORMING AND BAKING THE BREAD
  • GENTLY remove dough from bowl
  • Divide into 2 equal pieces (or smaller for rolls) degassing as little as possible
  • Form into boules or batards and place into bannetons or into lightly greased loaf pans
  • Mist exposed dough and loosely cover with plastic wrap
  • Proof dough about 1.5 hours or overnight in refrigerator. If in refrigerator, remove dough 4 hours before baking
  • Prepare oven with steam pan, baking stone, and preheat to 350 for loaf pans or 400 for free standing loaves
  • Gently transfer loaves to parchment paper
  • Score the loaves
  • Place in oven with 1 cup water in pan. Every 30 seconds for first two minutes spray oven walls with water.
  • Bake for 35 to 60 minutes depending on shape, rotating halfway through
  • Should be 185 to 195 in center
  • Transfer to rack and cool at least 45 minutes before slicing.

A pre-ferment is when a small portion of dough is made "in advance" and allowed to ferment for a long while (12 to 24 hours). It is then incorporated into the rest of the ingredients. The benefit is that the preferment allows for the development of alcohol and bacteria which ultimately adds more flavor and complexity to the final bread.

Thanks for sharing. This sounds good.

FIRM STARTER
  • 7 oz Sourdough Starter
  • 4.5 oz white rye flour
  • 4 oz water
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
FINAL DOUGH
  • 16 oz bread flour or flour combination
  • 4.5 oz white rye flout
  • 2 tbs brown sugar
  • 2.25 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp instant yeast
  • 2 tsp caraway seeds (optional)
  • 2 tbsp shortening or vegetable oil
  • 8 oz milk or buttermilk (warmed)
  • 2 to 4 oz lukewarm water
Just realized you using white rye flour. I will be use regular. Should be coming today. Have you done it this way?

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky