Sourdough Rye

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You can use whatever flour you have. You will probably need to adjust the water a bit as different flours absorb water at different rates.

This is my third and last attempt at a rye. The first 2 where all rye flour so hoping the bread flour mix will be better. I might have to get some of that enhancer. Suppose to lighten up the texture. I might also add some of that pickle juice if doing yours. I could probably strain the rye flour some.

I took a photo out of her cookbook. I hope you can read it. BTW Judy feeds her starter every week.
Here is the original recipe from Allrecipes:
View attachment 475948
And this is the variation that Judy uses.
View attachment 475949
This bread is really good!
View attachment 475952
View attachment 475955
Al. I thinking of trying Judy's variation recipe. Could you ask her if she follows the directions on the other one? 350 degrees oven seems pretty low. I am use to doing sourdough at 470.

Al. I thinking of trying Judy's variation recipe. Could you ask her if she follows the directions on the other one? 350 degrees oven seems pretty low. I am use to doing sourdough at 470.

Yes she bakes it at 350 for loaves. If she’s making buns she does them at 400. She now bakes them in our air fryer, which is out on the patio, so the house doesn’t get hot. Actually she just made a loaf yesterday, cause I smoked a ham yesterday too. Can’t have a ham & cheese sammie without good rye bread!
Good luck!
Al

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Here's ours. We use a Dutch oven (DO)

Ingredients:

Makes: 1 medium loaf

2 1⁄2 cups (350 g) all-purpose flour (plus plenty for the pastry board)

1 1⁄2 cups (210 g) rye flour

2 teaspoons salt

2 teaspoons caraway seeds (plus more for topping)

3 teaspoons active dry yeast

2 cups (470 ml) water or whey

1. Mix completely.
  2. Allow to rise 6 - 12 hrs
  3. Preheat DO to 500F
  4. Scrape dough into hot DO and slightly shape
  5. Put lid on and put in oven
  6. Remove lid after 25-30 mins and then 8-10 mins without lid

Let cool one hour

Larger loaf

4 cups all-purpose flour

2 cups rye flour

3 tsp sea salt

3 tsp caraway seeds

3 tsp dry active yeast

3 cups water

Cook this larger one for 40 mins with lid and 10 mins without.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky