Sourdough Biscuits, Recipe from a friend.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

disco

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Oct 31, 2012
Canadian Rockies
Our friend, Linda, kindly gave me the recipe for her sourdough biscuits. Normally you have to wrestle someone to get a recipe this good. Thanks, Linda.

They are quite easy to make.

The ingredients are:

1 cup flour
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup margarine
1 cup sourdough starter

Preheat oven to 425 F. Mix the flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder in a large bowl. Cut the margarine in with a pastry blender or two knives until it is the size of peas. Add the sourdough starter and mix just until it starts to hold together. Don’t worry about a few loose bits. Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead 10 times. Flatten to 3/4 inch. Cut biscuits and put them on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.

The Verdict

These are excellent biscuits. They have a crispy golden crust with a soft fluffy interior. They hold together better than baking powder biscuits and would be good for breakfast sandwiches and could even be toasted later. There is not a strong sourdough taste but there is a slight sourdough aftertaste. These will become a regular in my kitchen.

Disco

Reactions: snorkelinggirl
Disco, those look like superb biscuits! I am now craving hot biscuits with honey and butter...yum!

Thanks for sharing Linda's recipe with the rest of us!

Clarissa

Great looking biscuits Disco. Nice and fluffy! Need to slip some of your back bacon between those babies   

Last edited:

Great looking biscuits Disco. Nice and fluffy! Need to slip some of your back bacon between this babies   
Disco, those look like superb biscuits! I am now craving hot biscuits with honey and butter...yum!

Thanks for sharing Linda's recipe with the rest of us!

Clarissa
Thanks, but I wish you hadn't said that. Now I want to have another one.

Disco

Great looking biscuits Disco. Nice and fluffy! Need to slip some of your back bacon between this babies   
Sorry about my mixed up response. Thanks, Brian. They were mighty tasty and will go great with some back bacon.

Disco

Those look good, is the sourdough starter a common item that most grocery stores carry. I would like to try them if I can
Sorry, no. A sourdough starter is made from water and flour that is allowed to ferment with wild bacteria. It is then kept in the refrigerator and fed once a week with more flour and water.

There are lots of sites that will tell you how to start your own starter, just search sourdough starter in Google or Bing. I posted how I started my sourdough starter on my blog. You can also buy commercial starters that give instructions on how to get them going. Another alternative is to ask around among your friends and see if any of them have a starter going and ask for a cup from them.

You can make sort of a starter that won't be as sour but would make fine biscuits by mixing 2 cups flour, 2 cups milk, and 1 envelope active yeast (2 1/2 teaspoons). Put it in a glass or plastic container on the counter for 24 hours. You will end up with about 2 cups of starter.

Disco

I had heard many years ago that every sour dough bread ( or biscuit in this case) could trace it roots back to the original loaf. Meaning that the DNA of the original concoction was the "mother" of all other preceding sourdough breads. Bits of the original starter had been handed down over the hundreds of years.

I was born in San Francisco and sourdough is serious business in that part of the country. 

It appears that Dicos recipe debunks that wives-tail. 

b

Ya know what that biscuit needs? Some of Uncle Goldie's kumquat marmalade!

Nice looking biscuits man, job well done.
Thanks. Hey Foamheart, have you ever tried apple or rhubarb marmalade? Really nice.

Thanks. Hey Foamheart, have you ever tried apple or rhubarb marmalade? Really nice.
Ok, so here's my redneck showing but I never even ate marmalade till I made this Kumquat. Marmalade is what the little old ladies in England spread on their biscuits or crumpets with tea isn't it. LOL ........ Sorry, but seriously in all my travels never once had marmalade.

Neighbor has this tree full of kumquats, "oh yeah just pop 'em in your mouth and eat 'em whole" nasty stuff, bitter, taste like eating the fruits rind. Yuckers.

So I did some digging, couldn't make kumquat jelly, there's not enough juice, kumquat pie didn't sound appealing, Ya know citrus really takes a bad wrap when it comes to cooking sweets. I have a larder full of Satsuma jelly, and its done well and its a marginal taste at best.

Anyway after 5 chapters I'll simply answer your original question. Nope never had marmalade made from apple or rhubarb. Rhubarb is another funky thing. Friend makes rhubarb fig and a rhubarb faux strawberry jelly. But I couldn't find enough use for rhubarb to plant it more than one year.

I can see with some things marmalade is the only way to go, but for the extra time to strain and filter, I really prefer jelly, even over jams. Nice pretty clear color that just settles in with a pat of butter and melts down into the biscuit or toast and waits secretly to wow and entertain your taste buds.

Last edited:

Ok, so here's my redneck showing but I never even ate marmalade till I made this Kumquat. Marmalade is what the little old ladies in England spread on their biscuits or crumpets with tea isn't it. LOL ........ Sorry, but seriously in all my travels never once had marmalade.

Neighbor has this tree full of kumquats, "oh yeah just pop 'em in your mouth and eat 'em whole" nasty stuff, bitter, taste like eating the fruits rind. Yuckers.

So I did some digging, couldn't make kumquat jelly, there's not enough juice, kumquat pie didn't sound appealing, Ya know citrus really takes a bad wrap when it comes to cooking sweets. I have a larder full of Satsuma jelly, and its done well and its a marginal taste at best.

Anyway after 5 chapters I'll simply answer your original question. Nope never had marmalade made from apple or rhubarb. Rhubarb is another funky thing. Friend makes rhubarb fig and a rhubarb faux strawberry jelly. But I couldn't find enough use for rhubarb to plant it more than one year.

I can see with some things marmalade is the only way to go, but for the extra time to strain and filter, I really prefer jelly, even over jams. Nice pretty clear color that just settles in with a pat of butter and melts down into the biscuit or toast and waits secretly to wow and entertain your taste buds.
Sigh. I guess my Irish heritage  is coming out. I do like a dab of marmalade from time to time and one made with apples as well as the citrus is extra special. As for rhubarb not having uses, rhubarb crisp, rhubarb muffins, strawberry rhubarb pie, rhubarb orange punch and rhubarb marmalade. However, it is something that grows like a weed in this marginal growing area so it might explain why we use it so much.

Jelly is good but I was raised with freezer strawberry jam and that is what I fall back to for comfort food. 

Someday we may convert each other! The best part of cooking is trying what others do.

Disco

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky