Sourdough Asiago Bagels

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Im not going to wait until San Francisco.... Im going to start a new sour dough starter tonight! Thanks for the inspiration! Its been 4 or 5 years since I last had a SD starter.

That's great!!! Can't wait to see some of your baked goods.

A little known fact of sour dough is that ALL sour dough starters are local. So while you could begin with a starter from SF (or any other of the many heirloom starters out there) after a while, your local flora will overtake that from your SF starter resulting in a starter exactly the same as if you started it yourself where you live (that's a lot of starts in the same sentence, sorry about that.)

That's great!!! Can't wait to see some of your baked goods.

A little known fact of sour dough is that ALL sour dough starters are local. So while you could begin with a starter from SF (or any other of the many heirloom starters out there) after a while, your local flora will overtake that from your SF starter resulting in a starter exactly the same as if you started it yourself where you live (that's a lot of starts in the same sentence, sorry about that.)

That is exactly why I decided to start yesterday.... lol Sad thing is... I didnt start the starter yesterday. Lazy bones. Figure if I start today, the starter should be ready by next Saturday.

There are tons of "recipes" for creating a starter on the web. King Arthur's recipe seems to work pretty well for most people. If that doesn't work for you, let me know and I'll provide my method which is a bit more complicated.

And I totally agree with oldsmoker... you can find tons of them online. Or you can follow my steps. There are some call for a 50/50 water/flour mix which makes baker's math somewhat easier to do. I use a 60/40 water/flour mix.

Main thing is to remember unbleached and unbromated. I like to use Bob's Red Mill Organic Rye Flour.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky