SOS please help my brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smoked girl

Original poster
Feb 26, 2021
Andy Young <[email protected]>
9:27 AM (1 hour ago)

to jeremy

Hello all!

I live in Mexico and am passionate about smoking meats. I'm having some issues with my brisket coming out mushy in parts and hard in others. I was hoping you can save me...?!

Im working in a Weber Smokey Mountain, and I follow every step (225 fahrenheit , nice color, nice bark, spray with apple cider vinegar and good time resting. Here where I am, I can find choice quality but doesn't come very thick

I've attached 2 videos to show you the results. (in a gif because don't allow me another format)

Any help or suggestions would be amazing!! If you come to Mexico I will invite you for tequilas!

Cheers

Attachments

• 15A74ECA-1BB0-4D25-A7E6-1A7BC41FF294.GIF
    15A74ECA-1BB0-4D25-A7E6-1A7BC41FF294.GIF
    3.5 MB · Views: 26
  • 75E3BCE1-D103-453B-984A-23087BB275EC.GIF
    75E3BCE1-D103-453B-984A-23087BB275EC.GIF
    3.5 MB · Views: 29
The Weber Smokey Mountain is usually a pretty even cooker. Are you using the 18.5" version or the 22" version? One potential problem I could see is that if you're cooking on the 18.5" version and you have part of the brisket close to the edge of the cooking grate, the temps are much higher there. The heat is forced to the walls of the cooker by the water pan (if installed) and then flows up to the top of the dome lid and out the exhaust vent. So temps at the edge of the grate will be a lot hotter.

I've also cooked hot and fast brisket on a WSM and you can do this, but you need to rotate the grate 90 degrees (clockwise or counter-clockwise) every hour to deal with hotspots. In this case, the water pan is not installed.

One trick to use if you're cooking brisket on the 18.5" WSM is to use a small bowl or a piece of wood in the middle of the cooking grate, under the brisket, to prop it up. This will keep the edges of the meat away from the hot zones at the edges. I'd also suggest cooking at 250F as it is really hard to get all the fat and collagen to render properly on a brisket while cooking at 225F - unless you want to cook it for 18 hours or so.

I could go on, but I'll wait for some additional feedback from you and we will do all we can to help!

Reactions: Smoked girl
the smoker is in 225°F and I wrapped it when is 175°F on the point then I put it back until is 202-205°F on the point
Use your temp as a guide, most people will start probing around 200 when the probe slides through like butter it's ready. Take off wrap and let rest for a while.

Reactions: Smoked girl
Why are you shredding it? I slice brisket and very important to slice it across the grain. never with the grain. Many use an electric knife but a good sharp serrated knife works as well. Slice it thin. Brisket is a tough cut of meat with the flat known to be a bit tougher and dryer than the point. Based on my experience with brisket I'd never recommend shredding it or pulling it. I also recommend not slicing it until ready to serve.

Why are you shredding it? I slice brisket and very important to slice it across the grain. never with the grain. Many use an electric knife but a good sharp serrated knife works as well. Slice it thin. Brisket is a tough cut of meat with the flat known to be a bit tougher and dryer than the point. Based on my experience with brisket I'd never recommend shredding it or pulling it. I also recommend not slicing it until ready to serve.

noooo I didnt shredded 🤦🏻‍♀️ It’s so mushy that is impossible even to cut it 😭

The first gif where you pull the meat looks way undercooked. I'm not sure what's going on with the mushy part. You got a pic of the raw brisket before you put it on the smoker?

The first gif where you pull the meat looks way undercooked. I'm not sure what's going on with the mushy part. You got a pic of the raw brisket before you put it on the smoker?

I just have this one when I pull it out of the freezer , I cleaned and I leave 1/4 inch of fat

Attachments

• 5A13C040-251B-4117-9B82-EC76C6F77C05.jpeg
    5A13C040-251B-4117-9B82-EC76C6F77C05.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 6B757B2A-AA34-42FA-ACD6-1351A6C9E7F4.jpeg
    6B757B2A-AA34-42FA-ACD6-1351A6C9E7F4.jpeg
    127.9 KB · Views: 14
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky