Soppressata Investida (pork tenderloin stuffed salami)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Making Soppressata today. Had the idea to do a tenderloin stuffed salami. I put the tenderloin to cure 2 days ago. I am using 4-4.5" beef bung for the casing. First time making a salami with a tenderloin stuffed in the middle, and there is a secret to getting it to stay in position in the casing while you fill mince around it.

First go, the loin kept sliding out with the mince pushing it. It just would not stay in the casing. After walking away for a minute to thinking about the problem (and make a pot of coffee), this is the solution I came up with....use a large trussing needle to pin it in place.
IMG_20220410_151041.jpg

That worked amazingly well! After the initially stuffing the first 3" and centering the loin, I started filling the casing by spiraling the mince around the loin, checking to make sure it stayed fairly centered and filling in where I needed to. Next time, I will pin it every 4 inches as I stuff to make alignment easier, but overall, this worked out GREAT! I'm going to prick the salami once stuffed anyway so a couple of holes in the casing won't matter.
IMG_20220410_184852.jpg

Last edited:
This should be really interesting. Can't wait to see the finished product, that's for sure.

Robert

So the curved shape of this salami was putting uneven force on the hanging strings. one popped while hanging in the fermentation can. I noticed it when I transferred the salami to the accelerated drying chamber. I had to do a string repair...I doubled the hemp twine for a stronger hanging point. I have thicker hemp twine on order, but it is backlogged with world events....guess it will get here when it gets here.
IMG_20220411_162235.jpg

IMG_20220411_163415.jpg

The casing also pulled through the knots on the end. I cinched it down best I could, and will have to watch that area closely.

Thought just occurred to me....

I probably should not have punctured the tenderloin. But hindsight being what it is, nothing I can do about that now. The diameter where the puncture occurred is less than 1" dia. though so some acid 'should' migrate into the hole and muscle tissue around the hole. I'll just have to let it dry and see what I have...hoping for no issues as I did spray the needle with star san immediately prior to using it.

Next time I think it would be best to use two skewers or needles and pinch the loin in place poking both through just the casing and tying the skewers together with twine to pinch the tenderloin.

Such is life when you do stuff on the fly......

Soppressata Investida is done! Took it to 40% weight loss...until it felt right. I wanted the salami to adhere well to the tenderloin for slicing.
IMG_20220727_223835.jpg

IMG_20220727_223909.jpg

Another pinnacle in my adventure into Salumi....a large diameter salami successfully dried. The flavor profile of this one is more intense than the regular soppressata...I guess because it stayed moist for a longer period of time. Took 3.5 months to finish.

I took the casing and hung it back in the new chamber to help inoculate with beneficial mold spores.

So the skewer did a great job centering the loin in the casing. No issues with me poking through it, but next time I'm going to use two skewers and pinch the loin in place without having to poke through it....

Reactions: Sven Svensson
That looks heavenly.
Thanks Sven!

Looks fantastic.

You sir are a skilled artist, and very patient.

Nothing else I can say but , I bet the flavors are out of this world.

David
Thanks David! The more I learn, the better I get at this craft. The flavor profile is complex and amazingly well rounded.

The fruits of your labors, simply excellent!!
Thanks GonnaSmoke!

looks awesome, congrats on a great job!
Thanks tbern!

That is just awesome! That trussing is so neat looking! I think I will give it a try next time I make large diameter sausage.your sausage looks so so good. On a side note I made the Spanish choriso I mentioned earlier and it was a success. So I'm happy.

Reactions: indaswamp
That is just awesome! That trussing is so neat looking! I think I will give it a try next time I make large diameter sausage.your sausage looks so so good. On a side note I made the Spanish choriso I mentioned earlier and it was a success. So I'm happy.
Cool...Thanks checkdude. Go slow and steady to fill the casing around the tenderloin to avoid air pockets and truss it tight!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky