Something Different - Smoked Pork Spiedies!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meowey

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 16, 2006
Northern NY (Adirondacks)
Well folks,

It's time for another smoke 'n post!

Today it's pork spiedies smoked with apple wood! Spiedies are usually grilled, but today I decided to smoke some. Here is the wiki link to the article on spiedies for those who have never heard of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiedie

Mrs. Meowey's father lives near Binghamton, NY, so I've been familiar with spiedies for over 30 years.

I'm using Lupo's Original Spiedie Marinade. We picked some up on our way home from the Charlotte road trip a few weeks ago.

Spiedies on skewers.

spiedie1uq9.jpg

Spiedies in smoker along with Dutch's Wicked Beans

spiedie2hu9.jpg

Will post more Q-View later along with the taste test results.

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

Oooohhh... they look like something I need to try! Thanks for the post, I've never heard of them!

Good luck and keep us posted!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Jeeessh...was expecting to see the new offset smoker in action
icon_rolleyes.gif

Bet those spiedies will not take very long to be findished (sp is correct)
icon_redface.gif

Meowey what are the major ingredients of the marinade?

Looking good

Meowey, that looks great, have to admit I grew up in Jersey (left in 66) but
I have never heard of them.

They look nice! Chicken, beef, pork, anything! Is is "speedee" or "spiddie"?
They look like a great way to get some smoke in the belly pretty fast, they can't take that long to make. Thanks!

Well folks,

Tha family said I could do this again. They were in the smoker for about 2 hours at 225-230F. What was missing from not being browned on the grill (maillard reaction) was more than made up for by the smokey flavor.

Sorry Illini - the offset is still in Atlanta in transit to here. The major ingredients in the sauce are oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, spices (italian variety), and sometimes lemon juice.

Doc - thanks for the rep addition.

Keywesmoke - it is pronounced speedee!

You can order Lupo's Marinade online at http://www.spiedies.com/

The plated Q-View!

spiedie3iq8.jpg

Hope you all have the thin blue in your eyes!

Regards,

Meowey

I was too when I discovered that when I first got the smoker. I will often put 4 or 5 ABTs on a skewer and hang them in the smoker instead of putting them on a tray as they get more exposure to the smoke.

Regards,

Meowey

It's the meat marinated in the special sauce and usually grilled. Today i smoked them to see what they would be like. You can use any meat. Here is the wiki link so you can read about it in depth. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiedie

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Meowey

I've got some friends from upstate NY (I hope that's where these come from!) and going to smoke some tomorrow. Thanks for sharing this info.

Keywesmoke

It seems to be fairly localized to the Binghamton area and the Southern Tier. Hope you like them. As I said in the first post of this thread, Spiedies are usually grilled. I found that they also play well with the smoker.

Regards,

Meowey

Looks good to me. I love speides! If you want an alternative, try some chiavetta's marinade. It's a little stronger (vinegar based), but is very good served the same way as a speide.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky