Some Salamis are finishing...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Updated chamber pic. 01/16/22...
IMG_20220116_022741405.jpg

Moved the Berk. Culatello to the right back corner under the fiocco so I had room to hang the Napoli salami. I started the second round of cold smoke early today; it had rained so RH% was high and it was 57*F outside with the strong front approaching. Low tonight of 33*F so I wanted to get the second round of smoke done before temps. fell into the 30's. Put them on at 3:30pm, pulled them at 1:30am.

Last edited:
Updated Chamber pic....02/05/22
IMG_20220205_224027.jpg

I made some adjustments to my chamber. I restricted the airflow on the intake vent to the evaporator coil, and I cut a restriction plate for the return vent into the chamber. I have the airflow there cut back to about 65%. This has slowed down the airflow nicely. I am able to reduce the RH% slightly now; running @80-82% for more even drying. I inverted the hampshire culatello and fiocco (will be a year old Feb. 12th, 2022) and have them hanging high in the chamber for final drying. The Culatello is at 28% weight loss right now, still got 6 months or so to go. The Fiocco is at 33.5% and almost done. It is firming up nicely. I wiped the napoli salami down with vinegar to remove the mold that started growing, moved them to the front were the most air flow is in my chamber and gave them more space in an effort to keep the mold growth to a minimum now that they have slowed water loss, having lost 29% weight already.

For the restriction plate, I used one of those heavy duty flexible HDPE plastic cutting boards. I used a hole punch for the rounded ends of the slit then cut the slit with a box cutter and a large metal square for a straight edge. I taped it in place with clear packaging tape after wiping it down with star-san to sanitize.

One more note-
I have a second string hanging down with an "s" hook on the end. I attach this to one of the 8 vertical strings on the Berkshire culatello binding (hanging low in the chamber) to hold the mold covered meat area of the Culatello so that the humidifier will blow onto it. Best I can do for increasing the "fog"....and it seems to be helping to keep the exposed meat moist and preventing case hardening. Weigh loss is steady at this point...11-13grams per day....0.15-0.25%. With the dehumidifier on the top rack, I can keep the lower part of the chamber 2-4*F lower so this helps to simulate the early stages of the culatello how it is made in Italy. Cold & lotta fog....

Last edited:
Updated chamber pic...
IMG_20220319_204103.jpg

Salamis hanging are Finnochiona and Calabrian Sopressata. Coppa di Parma on the left, Lonzino Piacentina back middle, Lonzino di Calabria back right, Berkshire Culatello under the bucket cover. A full chamber once again....I am happy.

Finocchiona reached 32.5% weight loss today so I cut into one. This is traditionally a salami that is on the soft side anyways... Little more dry rim than I would like, probably due to the fan running a little too long during the new accelerated drying schedule I am using. But not bad enough to cause issues or case harden.
IMG_20220327_122654.jpg

IMG_20220327_122959.jpg

Flavor profile of the SM-194 culture is good....real good....and the accelerated drying schedule with temps stepping down from 77 to 59 over 7 days really helped with flavor development!
I'd like to hand cut the fat smaller. I think I will try my slicer to get the first cut down to a smaller thickness, then cut with a knife. Would be more uniform cut. The pH definitely rose slightly upon drying as there is no hint of tang at all. Both the mold and the D. Henasnii yeast helped to raise the pH. I like it! I also used a small amount of KCl in this salami, 5% of the sodium amount. There is a difference in taste. The flavor is brighter and the savory notes are more pronounced but don't know if that is from the KCl or the new culture. It does taste a little less salty too.

I'll let them dry another 5 days or so, then vac seal in the fridge for a while to equalize moisture.

Last edited:
Wow! We’re trying to figure out where to move… do you have any houses near you on the market soon!

Wow! We’re trying to figure out where to move… do you have any houses near you on the market soon!
Man that looks really really good
Thanks guys. bauchjw bauchjw ; Cost of living here is fairly cheap, but like everything else, it is going up with inflation. Housing market here is really tight....people from south Baton Rouge are moving here en masse...best school system in the state.

Reactions: bauchjw
Thanks guys. bauchjw bauchjw ; Cost of living here is fairly cheap, but like everything else, it is going up with inflation. Housing market here is really tight....people from south Baton Rouge are moving here en masse...best school system in the state.
I think sampling your craft would make it worthwhile!

Reactions: indaswamp
Also, Berkshire Culatello is at 22% weight loss. Losing 1% about every 12 days. That will slow down even more the drier it gets. The cover is working GREAT!!

Nice work Inda......... I hear ya about the fan...... Sometimes a salt brick in a water pan is all I need.

Nice work Inda......... I hear ya about the fan...... Sometimes a salt brick in a water pan is all I need.
I'm trying a new accelerated drying schedule during the first 7 days. I just ran the fan a little to much is all. This is the first time trying it, I just need to tweak it....reduce the fan speed and frequency.

Reactions: boykjo
Well, the Sopressata di Calabria has reached 30.76% weight loss as of today. So I had to cut into one and taste it!! Still a little too wet for my tastes, but WOW the flavor is incredible! It will only improve as it loses more moisture and flavor compounds continue to be created...
IMG_20220401_153622.jpg

It looks good probably tastes even better

Updated chamber pic. 4/6/22
IMG_20220405_232436.jpg

Ventricina Teramana bottom left in the front, Berkshire Culatello above it in the bucket cover, 3 Piemonte Salami in the front and 2 way in the back with the Wild hog coppa di Parma and the Lonzino Piacentina. Sopressata di Calabria on the left, and top right is the Hampshire fiocco and culatello...those should be ready soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC in GB
Updated Chamber pic. 04/12/22
IMG_20220412_191609.jpg

Moved the Nduja to the chamber today after dripping stage and allowing the casings to dry a little at room temp. 67-68*F and 50-60%RH...It is raining today so RH is higher than normal in the house so that worked out well.

Culatello under the inverted bucket cover on right, Ventricina Teramana bottom left in the front, Gualciale top in the back and in front left corner, Coppa di parma center low in the back, Lonzino Piacentina to the right of the Coppa, Piemonte salami back and along the left wall, Nduja front and back of inverted bucket. Hole to the left of the bucket is where I will hang the Soppressata di Veneto once it has finished accelerated drying in the new drying chamber.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC in GB
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky