SoFlaQuer's Carolina Mustard Sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

soflaquer

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 3, 2005
Stuart and Palm Beach, Florida
I've seen alot of different inputs on this type of sauce, which happens to be one of my all time favorites. I love it on ribs and certain smoked pork. Most standard recipes I have found to be too vinegary or bland. It has taken me years to perfect this recipe to my taste. Too much of this, or not enough of that can ruin this type of sauce very easily. So I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!

SoFlaQuer's Carolina Mustard Sauce

¾ Cup Yellow Mustard
¾ Cup Red Wine Vinegar
½ Cup White Sugar
3 Tbsp. Dark Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp. Butter
2 Tsp. Salt
½ Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce (Lea & Perrins)
½ Tsp. Soy Sauce
½ Tsp. Tabasco Sauce
1½ Tsp. Course Ground Black Pepper
1 Tsp. White Pepper

In a medium saucepan, combine ingredients, stirring to blend. Bring to boil, then lower to simmer for at least 30 minutes. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before serving.

TIP: I use a handheld upright blender at the simmer point to really give it a good blend and aerate the sauce. It makes for a much smoother finished product!

Jeff we tried your sauce for the first time last night.Man that stuff was great.thank you for sharing that with all of us.

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it. Like I said, I've "tweaked" this recipe to about as perfect as anyone can get it.

It was quite the hit a my annual Christmas Party, too!

Jeff

Jeff,
I finally got around to making your Carolina Mustard Sauce. All I can say is that it is great! I had a special friend over last night for pulled pork (with finishing sauce). And by the way he is from Columbia, SC. I made the sauce just as you recommended and he said that it was the best he has had since he moved from SC. He was excieted to get the recipe and asked me to pass on his thanks to you as well.

This looks to be a very nice sauce.
Thanks dude for sharing it.

I am smoking a brisket and a pork tenderloing tomorrow. Do you think I could use this on the pork as a mop sauce later into the smoking process? Or is this intended for a pulled pork finishing sauce?

Thanks again, I am going to give this a try.

JP4LSU,
This sauce is not a mop. It's designed to be served on the side with ribs, pulled pork, and also chicken (I don't eat it with brisket.... brisket comes from the southwest and to me, is best with a little tomato based sauce if any). The mustard based sauce goes well with all of the above and if you are talking with one of those native S. C. guys they use it on almost all their BBQ. They also like hash with their Q but that's a different story. Just to go on a little further, whatever tastes best to you and yours is the way you should go. But, for me, I'd do the following:

First: Use the mustard based sauce as a dipping sauce as per the above ie ribs, chicken and pulled pork.

Second: Read Fl. Jeff's finishing sauce post ... I think there's a sticky on it. In summary, what it says is that you prepare the finishing sauce and when the pulling is done, pour it over the meat and mix it in thoroughly. Don't put any other sauce on your pulled pork until it's served. Believe me, it's delicious! You can then offer some options to your in terms of sauce, to your guests .... mustard base being one of them. You might want to also consider a sweet and a hot or spicey tomato based sauce. I think you'll be a hero.

So many incredible looking recipes soooooo little time. I have truely found a home here on this forum. Thanks for sharing yet another incredible recipe!

This is a truly superb sauce. I was a die hard Sweet baby ray's fan. Now i am a changed man. Thanks for the awsome recipe.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

I just made up some of this sauce and dipped some fried gizzards in it.........VERY TASTY! Can't wait to try it on some pork.

Thanks for sharing, always looking for a new sauce to try. I have used your finishing sauce on the last couple pork butts I smoked, and it has a great flavor.

The finishing sauce is so easy, quick & CHEAP ...... I made a double batch, and it was PLENTY for my 11.5/lb'r.

The mustard sauce ....... I made a single batch and ran out, but my friends went crazy on it! (Dont skimp on the simmer time)

Hope that helps you gypsy

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky