Social Security

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
As a kid, it was a term that I had heard, but knew nothing about. When I started working part time, money was being taken out of my paycheck for it, but I still didn't really understand what it was. Some years later, I understood that it was for retirement and I had to be "old" to get it. Well fast forward a few days or weeks or years (time flies), I finally broke down and applied for it this week. I figure that officially makes me OLD!! 🤣🤣 I guess it's time to put me out to pasture or the old folks home...:emoji_wink::emoji_laughing:

Planning to take mine at 62, next May. The Mrs. has to wait another year as she's younger. Then we have 3 years to wait for medicare. I agree everyone should take it early and live much longer than expected.

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
I'm way to far away to dwell on it much but I didn't really understand it much when I was younger. Also learned after mom died 2 years ago that's it. So now I see why you say to take it early.

Ryan

As a kid, it was a term that I had heard, but knew nothing about. When I started working part time, money was being taken out of my paycheck for it, but I still didn't really understand what it was. Some years later, I understood that it was for retirement and I had to be "old" to get it. Well fast forward a few days or weeks or years (time flies), I finally broke down and applied for it this week. I figure that officially makes me OLD!! 🤣🤣 I guess it's time to put me out to pasture or the old folks home...:emoji_wink::emoji_laughing:
I know juat how you feel !!!! Time DOES fly by!!

Planning to take mine at 62, next May. The Mrs. has to wait another year as she's younger. Then we have 3 years to wait for medicare. I agree everyone should take it early and live much longer than expected.
Good for you, Mike. Might as well get it when you can, while you can...

Reactions: MJB05615
I'm way to far away to dwell on it much but I didn't really understand it much when I was younger. Also learned after mom died 2 years ago that's it. So now I see why you say to take it early.

Ryan
Ryan, I guess I'm one of the fortunate ones in that I have a pension for life from the company I retired from that supports us, mostly. So I wasn't really focused on SS until my wife signed up for hers and suggested that I was leaving money on the table and she's right, usually :emoji_laughing:

I understand about it being a long ways away for you, but it will be here tomorrow...

Congrats on living long enough to collect it. Up here we get it at 65--sadly not available early. I don't know, but if your SS is better than our OAS (Old age security). I get $685.50 a month, and applied as soon as possible--(Big Sigh), 8 years ago. So at your age, you're still a young pup. 😏😏
Gary

back when I started working the early retirement was at 58, now its 62 maybe but think full retirement is 65-67 , wife sez 2-3 more years not sure i got that left in me

Financial Advisors say to draw SS as soon as possible. I retired early at age 60 with a company pension after 40 years with the gas company. The pension plan bridged my SS until age 62. Damn, that was nice.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky