So I Made Brian's Hatch Chile Stew....OMG!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
As with so many others here, I get a lot of ideas and inspiration from stuff that people post. Once in a while though I seem something and I think "I just gotta make that", which is what happened when I saw the post from our good friend BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma showcasing his Hatch Chile Stew. Man that stuff just looked and sounded so good. Grabbed a dozen fresh chilies from the local grocery store and promptly proceeded to get it going.

I had a pork loin roast in the freezer that was about 2 1/2 pounds whereas he used pork butt. Started out cooking it in the Dutch Oven with some butter but got a lot of liquid but it was not browning up at all. Tossed the pork into a large skillet to brown and get that necessary crunch. Here it is in the skillet.
001.jpg

I did not discard the juices from the meat that were in the Dutch Oven so tossed in the onions and garlic to simmer for a bit.
002.jpg

Cut up 3 large Hatch Chilies.
003.jpg

Another thing I did slightly different was add the flour to the onions and garlic to make a roux of sorts.
004.jpg

Deglazed the skillet used to brown the pork with a cup or so of veggie broth.
005.jpg

Everybody in the pool!! The pork, broth from deglazing, the chilies, a can of Ro Tel tomatoes with habaneros, chili powder, coriander, cumin, a little salt, black pepper, another 2 cups of veggie broth, and some BTB veggie base.
006.jpg

Mix it all up and let simmer on a very low boil covered for about an hour and a half. Lordy lordy the aroma is off the charts!!
007.jpg

Thought some cornbread would go well with the stew. Got it mixed up and on the grill.
008.jpg

Cornbread done.
009.jpg

A nice bowl full of the stew topped with some of that incredible melting Mexican cheese I recently found and serve with the cornbread....with lots of butter on top of course :emoji_wink:
010.jpg

And one more pic of course for our friend David ( DRKsmoking DRKsmoking ) :emoji_laughing:
011.jpg

When Brian was raving about how good this stuff is, he was not exaggerating in the least. It is totally off the charts. I did something else a bit different. Got this going at noon and turned the heat off after the 1 1/2 hour simmer then just let it sit covered on the stove all afternoon for the flavors to develop...and develop they did. Wow, so deep, rich, complex, and flavorful. Yo Brian...you mentioned that you had 2 bowls and wanted a 3rd. Well guess what my friend, I got the 3rd bowl and loved every drop of it. I was miserable from eating too much but couldn't stop. I should have exercised the self control you did and stopped after 2 bowls. Maybe when I grow up I'll be able to show some restraint but not this time. Man this stuff is so good and the cornbread was the perfect side to go along with the stew.

Well that's it...till I post the dinner I did yesterday for my oldest daughter who just got out of the Navy and came to visit. Y'all enjoy the rest of your weekend and see everybody soon.

Robert

Awesome Robert!!!
Only one criticism, you didn't save any green chilies to put in the cornbread. :emoji_laughing:

Looks and sounds terrific Robert.

Point for sure
Chris

Looks dang good Robert! That's one of the great things about this site... always something new to try... too many things most of the time!

Ryan

Looks fantastic Robert. When I make green Chile stew I use roasted green Chile and fire roasted tomatoes. Brings yet another layer of flavor. But you are right the house smells like heaven when cooking it. Nice work as always.

Reactions: indaswamp
I’m gonna say that is a mean looking bowl of Chile! And yeah I can see where self restraint might would pose a problem!

Jim

I would eat that right now if it were here.

It sounds distinctly to me like you've succumbed to the enablers once again though. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I keep seeing hatch chilis. I guess I will have to do my best here with Anaheims.

BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma plates also looked great.

As with so many others here, I get a lot of ideas and inspiration from stuff that people post. Once in a while though I seem something and I think "I just gotta make that", which is what happened when I saw the post from our good friend BrianGSDTexoma BrianGSDTexoma showcasing his Hatch Chile Stew. Man that stuff just looked and sounded so good. Grabbed a dozen fresh chilies from the local grocery store and promptly proceeded to get it going.

I had a pork loin roast in the freezer that was about 2 1/2 pounds whereas he used pork butt. Started out cooking it in the Dutch Oven with some butter but got a lot of liquid but it was not browning up at all. Tossed the pork into a large skillet to brown and get that necessary crunch. Here it is in the skillet.
View attachment 673453

I did not discard the juices from the meat that were in the Dutch Oven so tossed in the onions and garlic to simmer for a bit.
View attachment 673454

Cut up 3 large Hatch Chilies.
View attachment 673455

Another thing I did slightly different was add the flour to the onions and garlic to make a roux of sorts.
View attachment 673456

Deglazed the skillet used to brown the pork with a cup or so of veggie broth.
View attachment 673458

Everybody in the pool!! The pork, broth from deglazing, the chilies, a can of Ro Tel tomatoes with habaneros, chili powder, coriander, cumin, a little salt, black pepper, another 2 cups of veggie broth, and some BTB veggie base.
View attachment 673459

Mix it all up and let simmer on a very low boil covered for about an hour and a half. Lordy lordy the aroma is off the charts!!
View attachment 673462

Thought some cornbread would go well with the stew. Got it mixed up and on the grill.
View attachment 673468

Cornbread done.
View attachment 673469

A nice bowl full of the stew topped with some of that incredible melting Mexican cheese I recently found and serve with the cornbread....with lots of butter on top of course :emoji_wink:
View attachment 673471

And one more pic of course for our friend David ( DRKsmoking DRKsmoking ) :emoji_laughing:
View attachment 673473

When Brian was raving about how good this stuff is, he was not exaggerating in the least. It is totally off the charts. I did something else a bit different. Got this going at noon and turned the heat off after the 1 1/2 hour simmer then just let it sit covered on the stove all afternoon for the flavors to develop...and develop they did. Wow, so deep, rich, complex, and flavorful. Yo Brian...you mentioned that you had 2 bowls and wanted a 3rd. Well guess what my friend, I got the 3rd bowl and loved every drop of it. I was miserable from eating too much but couldn't stop. I should have exercised the self control you did and stopped after 2 bowls. Maybe when I grow up I'll be able to show some restraint but not this time. Man this stuff is so good and the cornbread was the perfect side to go along with the stew.

Well that's it...till I post the dinner I did yesterday for my oldest daughter who just got out of the Navy and came to visit. Y'all enjoy the rest of your weekend and see everybody soon.

Robert
Looks fantastic! I love stuff like this :D
I have a green chili pork posole post somewhere on SMF that would be good to make up with all these hatch chili's being available :D

Maybe I'll make it soon when I'm doing all my green chili adventures soon.

Awesome Robert!!!
Only one criticism, you didn't save any green chilies to put in the cornbread.
Thanks Bruce. Appreciate the kind words. I've done a similar concept in the past with cornbread, jalapenos, and cheddar cheese and considered the chilies this go-around but thought it may be redundant. I wanted the chilies in the stew to be the star of the show.

Robert

Looks dang good Robert! That's one of the great things about this site... always something new to try... too many things most of the time!
Thanks so much Ryan and you're 100% correct...unfortunately. So many amazing things seen here there's not much way to make all of them. Doesn't stop me from trying though :emoji_wink:

Robert

Looks fantastic Robert. When I make green Chile stew I use roasted green Chile and fire roasted tomatoes. Brings yet another layer of flavor. But you are right the house smells like heaven when cooking it. Nice work as always.
Appreciate it Eric. Sounds like you have perfection dialed in. with the exception of the Hatch Chilies I was trying to get by with what we had on hand. Truth be told, I wasn't going to put tomatoes in it then saw the cans of Ro Tel and decided to go for it :emoji_wink:

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky