• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SonnyE

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 13, 2017
Saugus, California
OK, so I jumped in.
I got a grinder attachment for the Kitchen Aid mixer, with sausage stuffer tubes, and I'm getting ready to make Snack Sticks when my order arrives with Collagen tubes, I'll be itching to try things out.

I'm wondering if anybody has made Bacon Snack Sticks?
I had this hare brained thought of using ready to slice belly bacon as the meat for a snack stick.
Or a Buckboard Bacon (Shoulder Bacon)?

Add Blue Cheese?
Too crazy?

It sounds pretty good to me!
I'm thinking of making pastrami brats!
Got to do different stuff from time to time!
Al

Reactions: SonnyE
Way to much fat in bacon. Trimmed BBB would be better, but I don't know if I've ever heard of anyone doing this and I'm not sure what the flavor would be or what spice mix/recipe to recommend for the same reason. If you do it, let us know what you did and how it worked (or even if it didn't).

Reactions: SonnyE
Why not bacon? Everything is better with bacon!

My Thoughts exactly, Sarge!

SE, My concern would be the amount of fat being to high to cook without the fat running out??

A valid thought. Walton's sells a bacon flavor mix. Seeing that, I thought why not use real bacon? Buckboard Bacon is vastly leaner. And since I have some frozen, might go there. :emoji_thinking:

It sounds pretty good to me!
I'm thinking of making pastrami brats!
Got to do different stuff from time to time!
Al

That sounds awesum, Al! I would think many different meats could be candidates for grinding and stuffing.

Way to much fat in bacon. Trimmed BBB would be better, but I don't know if I've ever heard of anyone doing this and I'm not sure what the flavor would be or what spice mix/recipe to recommend for the same reason. If you do it, let us know what you did and how it worked (or even if it didn't).

Me neither, Dave. But Walton's carries a Bacon Flavor snack stick seasoning. And so was born the hare brained thought. LOL! They even suggest adding bacon to the mixture.

I'm the kind to try and fail, fail, fail, then hit a right flavor. Just thinking along the lines of what is immediately available to me. I have some packages of Buckboard Bacon I got too salty. Well, not too salty, just a bit salty for my taste.
I like dabbling in mixing my own flavorings, too.

Salty! Just like the Buckboard Bacon turned out.
But that's alright, they're edible. Just salty to me.
I got a Boston Butt and a package of Stew Meat and made a small rope of test snack sticks.
They get to set in the fridge overnight before smoking.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky