• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Snack Stix for a Maiden Voyage...

SonnyE

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 13, 2017
OK, so I jumped in.
I got a grinder attachment for the Kitchen Aid mixer, with sausage stuffer tubes, and I'm getting ready to make Snack Sticks when my order arrives with Collagen tubes, I'll be itching to try things out.

I'm wondering if anybody has made Bacon Snack Sticks?
I had this hare brained thought of using ready to slice belly bacon as the meat for a snack stick.
Or a Buckboard Bacon (Shoulder Bacon)?

Add Blue Cheese?
Too crazy?

old sarge

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 26, 2012
Why not bacon? Everything is better with bacon!

crazymoon

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 24, 2014
SE, My concern would be the amount of fat being to high to cook without the fat running out??

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
It sounds pretty good to me!
I'm thinking of making pastrami brats!
Got to do different stuff from time to time!
Al

dward51

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 24, 2011
Way to much fat in bacon. Trimmed BBB would be better, but I don't know if I've ever heard of anyone doing this and I'm not sure what the flavor would be or what spice mix/recipe to recommend for the same reason. If you do it, let us know what you did and how it worked (or even if it didn't).

SonnyE

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 13, 2017
Why not bacon? Everything is better with bacon!
My Thoughts exactly, Sarge!

SE, My concern would be the amount of fat being to high to cook without the fat running out??
A valid thought. Walton's sells a bacon flavor mix. Seeing that, I thought why not use real bacon? Buckboard Bacon is vastly leaner. And since I have some frozen, might go there. :emoji_thinking:

It sounds pretty good to me!
I'm thinking of making pastrami brats!
Got to do different stuff from time to time!
Al
That sounds awesum, Al! I would think many different meats could be candidates for grinding and stuffing.

Way to much fat in bacon. Trimmed BBB would be better, but I don't know if I've ever heard of anyone doing this and I'm not sure what the flavor would be or what spice mix/recipe to recommend for the same reason. If you do it, let us know what you did and how it worked (or even if it didn't).
Me neither, Dave. But Walton's carries a Bacon Flavor snack stick seasoning. And so was born the hare brained thought. LOL! They even suggest adding bacon to the mixture.

I'm the kind to try and fail, fail, fail, then hit a right flavor. Just thinking along the lines of what is immediately available to me. I have some packages of Buckboard Bacon I got too salty. Well, not too salty, just a bit salty for my taste.
I like dabbling in mixing my own flavorings, too.

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Feb 17, 2013
Did you make any yet?

SonnyE

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Dec 13, 2017
Salty! Just like the Buckboard Bacon turned out.
But that's alright, they're edible. Just salty to me.
I got a Boston Butt and a package of Stew Meat and made a small rope of test snack sticks.
They get to set in the fridge overnight before smoking.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Group Lead
Joined May 19, 2018
I can help eat any evidence of the smoke being less then perfection Sonny. Promise.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.