Maiden Voyage w/Sausage & New Grinder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoke happens

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
Arlington, WA
So last night was the maiden voyage for making sausage, never done it before. Had a new Cabela's grinder waiting to come along on the journey with me since Christmas. After some thought and consultation (thanks Nepas) I decided to start with a fresh breakfast sausage. Venison summer sausage and venison snack sticks will start as soon as my stuffer arrives next week, meat is defrosting as I type.

I used the basic recipe Nepas has, except I added a touch of brown sugar and tweaked the pepper a bit. I like this sausage, it's awesome, the family loved it too! Next time I mix up the seasonings I think I will back off the salt maybe 1/2 oz or so, and the sage about 1/4 oz or so. That or just use slightly less than the .5 oz per lb, say .45oz or .4oz. It's great now, and the wife had no complaints, but something to try next time to take a bit of the salt away. Also, I'm using rubbed sage as that is all I could get in the store. Is there a big difference between ground sage and rubbed sage as far as intensity of flavor?

Bottom line, I will NEVER be buying breakfast sausage again. This stuff is great, the process was enjoyable, and you know exactly what you have at the end of the day and what you don't have (artificial preservatives, things you can't pronounce, etc) in your sausage. This recipe is also a great starting point for other sausages. Already talking about a spicy version and Italian version as well. Perfect place for a beginner to cut teeth on making sausage, thanks again for the recipe Nepas!

Here is the modified Nepas recipe I used:

8oz Kosher Salt

2oz Sage (rubbed)

1.5oz Brown Sugar

1.25oz Black Pepper

.75oz White Pepper

Use .5oz per 1lb of meat

8.01lbs pork butt cubed and ready to go with the seasonings and new grinder. Also added some of the cap off the other butt I'm doing PP with this weekend.

First grind through the course plate, mixed seasonings into meat prior to grinding.

At this point, I stopped and did a fry test. I assumed if something was way off or not to my liking taste wise I could adjust the seasonings before the final grind and get a better incorporation. Not a darn thing wrong, I'm pretty excited at this point being my first time and all. Had the wife sample and she liked it too.

I actually liked the coarse grind for the sausage and she did to, so what I did was only run half of the coarse grind through the medium plate and then mixed together with the other half of coarse grind. Best of both worlds, when I pressed some out for another "quality control" fry test it was similar to JD sausage texture wise but with an occasional larger chunk of pork in it - perfect!

I had the sausage vac-packed and the tools and entire kitchen cleaned, the drink topped off, and my laurels resting proudly on the couch browsing SMF before realizing I never got any pics of the finished product, oops. Pulled one out of the freezer, each package is just over a pound, so we can eat it both mornings over a weekend.

SH, morning.... Looking good.....  I don't buy store sausage any longer also....   Home made is soooooo gooood...   

I like the Ulu... Do you use it for cutting up the meat ??  Mine sits on the shelf just to look at...  

Dave

thanks Dave. My wife and I were simply floored when we tasted it. We actually have about 1/2lb of JD in the fridge, wife told me that I need to finish that up because on Saturday morning she was eating the new sausage.

I was working up at Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage for a while and the factory is right there off base in downtown Anchorage. I bought it as a souvenir to sit next to the knife block on the kitchen counter, thought they were cool looking is all.

Now, it is my go to knife for any meat/fish hands down. Sharpens just like any other knife on my steel. It will change the way you work in the kitchen with meat/fish, simply awesome especially once you get used to working with it. I'm going to need to order a few more though, need one to sit there and look pretty again and another one to use day to day.

Great job Andy...looks xlnt. I'm a new sausage maker myself and really enjoy doing it...so many to do, so little time but having a ball. Just wait till you get that stuffer & start making links and stuffing that flying fortress full of hanging bandoliers of sausage. Sausage will be in my future soon again....my replacement grinder blade arrived yesterday. Enjoy that upcoming smoked butt this weekend.....Willie

Looks like you did a fine job 
thumb1.gif
    Keep that grinder handy - once your stuffer comes you will be wanting to use it all the time
smile.gif

Your Sausage look great!

You've convinced me, I'm going to have to break down and buy a dedicated grinder! The old hand crank just doesn't cut it!

Funny thing is I tried to make a few links just for chits and giggles using my newly acquired Jerky Gun (which I plan to do some caseless snack sticks with). That was an epic failure, but to the point of being funny though. I got about 4 links made, all of which exploded when I fried them up if they had not already come undone before getting them to the frying pan. It was all chits and no giggles..... They tasted great, and since I was really only messing around for curiosity's sake no hard feelings or blood pressure spike. I can see where that stuffer will come in handy though.....

Love to see those test frys! I've noticed the strong sage flavor will settle down after a day in the fridge or in the freezer. I cut back just a little when I'm going to fry it right away and go with full strength and maybe a little more if it is going in the freezer. You can't beat it fresh!

tongue.gif

Your Sausage look great!

You've convinced me, I'm going to have to break down and buy a dedicated grinder! The old hand crank just doesn't cut it!
Oh yeah....Popeye grinders!  
biggrin.gif

I love the breakfast sausage too...thought there was a bit much pepper in it for me.  BUT....I let it sit till Sunday...and the blend was perfect.  No more Dean's sausage for me.  Only Pops from now on.  I am going to make some more of it in the next few weeks with my electric (not Popeye) grinder too.

Looks great!  

Cool...... cant wait to see the stuffer.....................
icon14.gif

After letting the sausage sit the salt mellowed, so for breakfast sausage no. Picked up butt on sale for $1.58lb yesterday so I have about 38 lbs I am going to start on when my seasonings arrive from Penzeys. Planning on making some spicey versions and maybe experimenting with some fennel a bit. Other than that, I think I will leave the recipe alone for now.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky