snack sticks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

boykjo

Renowned Sausage Maker
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Apr 28, 2010
Raleigh,NC
Was at the bass pro grand opening last week and picked up some snack stick seasoning and some cologens..... what the heck... It gave me something to do while its still wet, cold and muddy out.....

all cured and seasoned up

using 19mm's cologens

I got 18 lbs to fill

firing up the amnps... I cut another hole at the other end..... I light each end and its like having two amnps's. it give me a nice 3 hrs of good smoke.

smoker loaded up with the amnps. cold smoke for a few hrs

finished

In the fridge over night to bloom then cut to length today

These are all pork however I think they will be better with a 50/50  mix of beef and pork and improve the texture... I threw half of them in the dehydrator to toughen them up... Will post some more pics when they are out of the dehydrator. If I like what happens the rest will get dehydrated...

Thanks for looking

Boykjo

Hey Boykjo........those look great. I am with you on the meat......I think a 50/50 beef and pork is good for stix. I also add 2.5 lb of habanero cheese to a 25 lb batch of stix when I make them. Just a little late burn.......not real hot.

And, thanks again for the Kielbasa spice blend. I will finally have time to build those next week.

Brad

Look good.  Can I ask where you got your 19 mm stuffing tube?  My Lemi 5 lb stuffer only came with plastic ones and are to big.  I tried a mod I found on here, but it didn't work so well and I wasted 10lbs of venison (don't like to waste my best meat).  Any help would be great.  Thanks  Matt

Look good.  Can I ask where you got your 19 mm stuffing tube?  My Lemi 5 lb stuffer only came with plastic ones and are to big.  I tried a mod I found on here, but it didn't work so well and I wasted 10lbs of venison (don't like to waste my best meat).  Any help would be great.  Thanks  Matt
Lem sells a S/S stuffing tube to fit. It will even work with 16 mm casings.

Brad

I made it at the machine shop at work. I used some ss sanitary tubing and a 1 1/2 sanitary  ss cap which measures 2" round

Last edited:
OMG----Looks Awesome, Joe!!!

I would leave it all continuous. Then I could tell Mrs Bear "I only ate one!!"

Hmmmm, my AMNPS came with a hole at each end.

Bear

Dumb question, I have seen numerous degrees of smoked color, does it all come from the smoke or are there different types of collagen casing which work better? Dark mahanoy to a rich red color is it all the smoke or should we be looking for a specific brand?
These were mahogany colored cologens...  If you see different colors of snack sticks like a dark red or a mahogany it is the light in the area and the camera. I can actually change the color of the sticks by moving to a different lighted area or using a flash or not using a flash. These sticks did get a little redder than the original color but that was from the smoke and/or the ingredient of the seasoning. In the pictures look at how different the colors are.. even in the same picture...

Last edited:
mmm mMMM MMMMMMMMMMMM ... Joe... your still the man bub... I'm fresh out and need to make some more.... this things are addicting...

what cut of beef would you use to do the 50/50 ?

Last edited:
mmm mMMM MMMMMMMMMMMM ... Joe... your still the man bub... I'm fresh out and need to make some more.... this things are addicting...

what cut of beef would you use to do the 50/50 ?
I would find the cheapest cut of lean beef, grind it and add it to the pork.......

Is that the 3/8" tube?
Bass Pro Shops carries the 3/8" LEM stainless steel tubes for snack sticks.  I would think Cabela's and Academy would also.  There were shown as out of stock on the LEM website but I found one at the Macon Bass Pro before Christmas while picking up a few other things.  Seems like LEM only occasionally has them on their web store. The LEM 3/8" tube will fit a Northern 5lb stuffer perfectly (as do most, if not all, of the parts for a LEM #606 stuffer).

did you have to add alot of liquid to get the meat mixture to stuff easily ?
or was it a 2 man show with 1 sweating and stuffing and the other on the casings... LOOKS GREAT !!!!!!

or was it a 2 man show with 1 sweating and stuffing and the other on the casings... LOOKS GREAT !!!!!!
I added 3 cups of water to 9 lbs. It loosened it up enough to make stuffing easy..... There's no 2 man show around here.... I hold the casing with my right hand, turn the crank with my right foot, feed the casing with my left hand, cut the casings with my teeth and hang the casings with my left foot....LOL

I added 3 cups of water to 9 lbs. It loosened it up enough to make stuffing easy..... There's no 2 man show around here.... I hold the casing with my right hand, turn the crank with my right foot, feed the casing with my left hand, cut the casings with my teeth and hang the casings with my left foot....LOL

Told ya... Joe's "THE MAN" when it comes to sausage... a ONE MAN BAND.... :sausage:

Man, good job! those look amazing.
I bought the mohogany cologen casings from bass pro and the issue i had was that the casings just peeled right off. When you take a bite the casing wouldn't come with the meat. Did you have the same problem or did up just peel the casings off? Any suggestions?

thanks Joe

my 22/24 sheep casings came in today ... they gave me a hell of a discount. Helps to be a Frequent Flyer ...  LOL

i will get a chance to do the weinees up next week

thanks again

Adam

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky