Snack stick casings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Johnpjacobs

Original poster
Jan 17, 2020
Hi y’all!
I’m new to this smoking stuff but I made some deer snack sticks and wow I’m hooked. Can anyone tell me what the smallest snack stick casing is and where to buy it?
Thanks

If you're looking for natural casings, which I highly recommend, about the smallest you'll find are 19 mm sheep casings. Best place IMHO to get them is from Syracuse Casing Company. They are already sanitized and pre-tubed so are super simple to slide right off the tube onto your stuffing horn. Soak in water for a few minutes before stuffing the sausage and you're ready to go.

Robert

Reactions: JC in GB
This is about the smallest I’ve seen. I just made a batch with the sausage makers. Fit fairly easily on my cabalas stuffing tube by feeding about 6 feet on at

For 17# of meat

Also sausage maker’s 17# but includes free shipping but at a higher price.

24#

I believe you are correct that the collagen casings do come as small as 17 mm but I've just never had much success with collagen casings. Maybe I'm just using the wrong ones but I've just found that I prefer natural casings.

Robert

I've seen them as small as 13mm. Check with SFLsmkr1, Rick may know where to get them.

Boykjo

If you're looking for natural casings, which I highly recommend, about the smallest you'll find are 19 mm sheep casings. Best place IMHO to get them is from Syracuse Casing Company. They are already sanitized and pre-tubed so are super simple to slide right off the tube onto your stuffing horn. Soak in water for a few minutes before stuffing the sausage and you're ready to go.

Robert
Thanks

Here is 15mm but they come in commercial quantities. You may be able to call and ask for smaller quantities. This is about the smallest I’m seeing. Man I think you’d have trouble stuffing 13mm casings without some type of commercial grade machine.

I've seen them as small as 13mm. Check with SFLsmkr1, Rick may know where to get them.

Boykjo
Hard to find, just gotta be at the right time. From Dupey equipment in Clive Iowa.
I bought the whole caddy. Have to use a 3/8" OD tube. I have no problem with my LEM 5lb stuffer with metal gears. Trick is to let the mixed meat in the stuffer canister at room temp for about 45 mins.
(no you wont die)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky