Smothered Italian Sausage & Pasta With Spicy Sauce (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
I've kinda had a craving for Meatball Parmesan subs recently. My buddy Steve ( Steve H Steve H ) posted a couple of Italian sausage subs he did a few days ago and man did they ever look good!! Those suddenly took precedent over the meatball subs I'd wanted so got a package of homemade Italian sausages out of the freezer. I immediately saw a problem. There was no way in the world those sausages were gonna fit on the sub rolls we had. They were WAY too big. Thought about it and took a slightly different approach. Same concept except served over pasta with repurposed sub rolls for garlic bread. Weather was kinda nasty so thought I'd be best off keeping this one in the house.

Making up a batch of spicy sauce using fire roasted diced tomatoes and all the mandatory Italian spices
010.jpg

Peppers and onions in the skillet with some EVOO
011.jpg

Sausages in another skillet
012.jpg

Put together a nice little salad
013.jpg

Sausages all done
014.jpg

Slice one of them in half and lay it on the pasta
015.jpg

Add veggies (Tracy got most of the veggies)
016.jpg

Sauce
017.jpg

Pile on a bunch of Mozzarella cheese and melt it then serve with salad and garlic bread
018.jpg

We've always love Italian themed food and this hit the spot for all cravings, plus it was in some ways similar to the subs that Steve posted which I wanted to recreate. Something about all that melted cheese on top is just crazy good. We were happy with this one. Really good flavor in the sauce, a nice little tingle from the cayenne and crushed red pepper, and this recipe is by far our favorite Italian sausage. Now I gotta get my butt in gear and make some more. Down to only 4 links left and I have a feeling that the one who controls the purse strings is gonna be asking for this again pretty soon.

Y'all take care, stay safe, and thanks once again for dropping in. See ya on the next episode.

Robert

Last edited:
Wow, homemade sausage, homemade sauce, beautiful piece of work Robert, Like! RAY

Looks delish Robert! we also love Italian foods. Spaghetti and meat balls is a wife fav - with home made meatball of course.

Absolutely wonderful looking! How can you go wrong with Italian food and garlic bread! Especially with all the homemade goodies!

Ryan

Good lookin meal . Having homemade Italian tonight myself . Seeing this makes me want it even more . Nice work .

Looks good. The Italian owned shops in NJ sold Sausage and/or Meatball Parm Subs. A 14" Whole could put you in a Food Coma. Your Sausage and Pasta has me wanting some of that. What Sausage recipe you use?...JJ

Looks great Robert! And the fact that it's all homemade is even better. I need to make some Italian sausage next after making that andouille.

Good stuff there Robert!
We are doing a variation of that tonight.
Homemade garlic linguini, with pan seared scallops in butter & garlic.
I’m not eating lunch, just an early dinner. Gotta get busy & make the pasta.
But I have to say your meal looks fantastic!!
Al

Wow, homemade sausage, homemade sauce, beautiful piece of work Robert, Like! RAY

Thank you Ray!! That sausage was made following your sage advice to use Cab instead of water when mixing. that is a game changer!!!

Looks delish Robert! we also love Italian foods. Spaghetti and meat balls is a wife fav - with home made meatball of course

Appreciate it Dave. Sounds like your wife has good taste. I mean...look who she married...right? :emoji_wink:

Mighty nice!

Thanks Jim. appreciate the kind words.

Absolutely wonderful looking! How can you go wrong with Italian food and garlic bread! Especially with all the homemade goodies!

Very much appreciate it Ryan. Let's be honest though. The sauce is nothing more than an Italian themed gravy, correct? And we know about gravy :emoji_laughing:

Robert

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Good lookin meal . Having homemade Italian tonight myself . Seeing this makes me want it even more . Nice work .

Thank you Chop. How did yours turn out? No doubt it was outstanding!!

Very nice Robert. All looks amazing. I gotta start sausage making soon

Thanks Jake. Beware though. Making sausage is as addictive as making bacon and there are SOOOO many different recipes you can use to start then begin creating your own.

Spot on Robert that looks delicious!

Appreciate it John. It was just an adaptation if Steve's sandwiches served over noodles.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky