smoking wood question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mhein68

Original poster
Jul 4, 2023
A question.. Does different variants of wood matter? (pin oak, white oak, red oak) (cherry, wild cherry) (apple, crab apple) Etc?

Reactions: JLeonard
That's a good question.

The guy who runs the wood lot I trade with some, says there's " 10,000 varieties of oak " and he doesn't know what variety he's selling . IDK if there's that many, but there's a whole bunch. And it would be rare to souce wood knowing exactly what variety your getting.

But the fellas in Texas will tell you there's definite difference in post oak.

I just bought half a rick of pecan. I get it home and start sorting it out and a good portion of it is oak.

I also got a half rick of hickory. It might be hickory, it might not.

So to try to get very specific on a variety of a certain wood, is difficult. I would just be happy to know that it actually is what its advertised.

I burn about every oak the midwest offers, can't tell the difference in in taste, but pin and white oak may burn a little faster, maybe.. There is a difference between wild cherry and fruit cherry trees.

Reactions: mhein68
Does it matter? I guess it comes down to preference/taste. I have all 3 oaks you listed + at least 3 more species on my property and I can definitely tell a difference between them. I have wild cherry too. As for fruit woods I have found the actual fruit producers taste better than the wild or non fruit producers. Yeah, the wild cherry makes little berry looking things but doesn't taste as good as an actual fruit producer. I also have pignut hickories and it tastes different than the wood from my buddies shagbark hickories.

To me there is not as much of a difference in variants as species. Yes White Oak, Red Oak and Coastal Oak ( the three types I have available) have a difference in smokiness. The Red/Coastal Oak also seem to color the meat better as it smokes.

The species makes a huge difference. Oak, Mesquite, Hickory, Apple, Cherry and the rest all have a different profile. Between soft and hard wood, how they burn and the smoke they give off make a huge difference in the flavor of what you cook.

I like to mix woods for most of what I cook.

There is a difference in different wood types.
In general fruit wood is going to be a milder smoke than hardwood like oaks and hickory. Fruit wood is good for poultry and fish or if you don't like a lot of smoke on your food.
Hardwoods have more smoke flavor and are better for heavier meats like pork and beef.
As you see people even say that different hardwoods give different flavors also different fruit trees give different flavors.
They also burn at different rates and heats.
That's one of the fun parts of smoking your food is experimenting with the different types of wood to see how it changes the taste and the cook.

Reactions: mhein68
fruit woods definitely are lighter in flavor. I've heard you have to run cherry wood without the bark as it can be harmful. although don't know what truth there is behind that statement.

Yes.

I can tell the difference in smell, between red oak vs post oak vs white oak.
Agree BUT you can still tell they're ALL oak. That's the rub... I think there is sorta a trade off in cost and quality and you have to make a decision at some point. Here everything is "firewood". No one talk species yet alone variety. No disrespect to them but doubt the to tree trimmers selling the wood even know the varieties yet alone take the time to sort it out. White and red oak MAYBE but you are gonna pay DEARLY to get it bet there will plenty of mistakes in that load like Smokin Okie Smokin Okie has learned.

tI don't think the OP was asking about differences in species, I thought he was asking about differences in variety. 0

Example, a tomato plant is a tomato plant, but there's thousands of different varieties , i.e. Big Boy, Cherokee Purple, Jet Star , etc.
Exactly what I was asking... Different species of wood (15 varieties of cherry trees).. (15 varieties of apples trees), (19 oak varieties)... The reason for asking if A person can find a tree downed is it worth smoking? taste? Hope this helps.. Thanks for the replies!

Reactions: zwiller
Exactly what I was asking... Different species of wood (15 varieties of cherry trees).. (15 varieties of apples trees), (19 oak varieties)... The reason for asking if A person can find a tree downed is it worth smoking? taste? Hope this helps.. Thanks for the replies!
I understand the question now. Sure, a tree downed is worth smoking. However, you gotta know your trees and how to tell the difference between them. Looking at the bark is a huge indicator for me. I have a book on trees actually. It has helped me alot. I want to add this, I heat the majority of my house on firewood. I get my own firewood. And I learned thru burning wood in a stove what heats best (btu) and leaves the least amount of ash. And that fell into my smoking food.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky