Smoking with different wood

Discussion in 'Roll Call' started by gatorchomps, Dec 9, 2015.

1. gatorchomps

gatorchomps Newbie

I have been smoking all my meats with Apple wood.. But a few months ago I cut down a huge Red Maple tree in my back yard.
    I kept a lot of it for the fireplace, but was wondering if anyone ever use it for Boston Butt.. I don't want to blow it with a bad decision.. Also it may be still green, will that cause me issues either.

2. travisty

travisty Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Maple would be a good option for Boston butt, both maple and apple have a very similar flavor IMO, they are both mild and a bit sweet. You will want to make sure it is dried all the way out for best results, but I think you may still be fine if its wet, you just may need to get your element hotter to accommodate.

If it were me I would do a mix of the two and add hickory, but that's just me. I think it will be delicious with the maple, but again because of the similarities you probably wont notice the difference between the two, I personally cant ever tell between cherry maple and apple.

gatorchomps likes this.
  3. [​IMG]   Good evening and welcome to the forum fellow East Texans, from a nice cool day in East Texas, and the best site on the web. Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything.

Gary

4. cliffcarter

cliffcarter Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

I use red maple all the time, it is very good on everything, butts included, I like it best on chicken and turkey, it gives them a mild smoke flavor and a very nice golden color.

Seasoning splits takes about 9 months, chunks 2-4 depending on the size.

gary s likes this.
  5. Nice job Cliff, really looks great   [​IMG]

Gary