smoking with corn cobs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well I forgot to throw the ham in there, but the BBB started out with 2/3 of the rows filled with apple pellets and finished off with 1/3 corn cob pellets. It was definately a sweet smell, and when my daughter and her husband stopped by, they asked if I was smoking corn? Will give it a taste test in the next day or two.

Much like you Pops my Dad owned his own store.  Interested in what you did to the hams before you smoked them.

I was going to smoke a chuck roast today.  Would that work with corn cobs.  A local farmer just harvested his shell corn and cobs are everywhere.  1,000's of them.

I have been smoking cooked hams and fresh turkey breasts using dry corn cobs for several years. Best we have ever had. even neighbors have me smoke their hams.  I also smoke other game and fish with hard wood. with When using corn cobs make sure there are no kernels on and are completely dry.

as to my previous post. I forgot to mention that I soak the dry corn cobs for 4to 6 hours prior to putting them on the charcoal

as to my previous post. I forgot to mention that I soak the dry corn cobs for 4to 6 hours prior to putting them on the charcoal
You have me confused your upper post says make sure the corn cobs are completely dry then you soak them for 4 to 6 hours......Corn cobs would not be like wood and produce creosote why not just air dry them 1/2 way  then use them with the natural juices?

I just picked up 8 gunny sacks full of corn cobs they are hanging under a shed roof drying.

Dan

I used to help my dad smoke with corn cobs! We made our own Baloney and also smoked hams as well.

It was a very good smoke I have been thinking of trying it again I certainly miss it! 

Here in  New England I originally discovered cob smoked bacon and ham in a few Vermont locations. Seemed logical to me that if it was found in VT you'd find it in New Hampshire or Maine, too but I never have. I travel extensively for work and the only other place I have found cob smoked meat  products is in Kentucky. This method is far and away my favorite.

At home we have successfully dried our own cobs, chopped them up when dry into 1/2 pieces and used them in our electric smoker with great results for brined raw bacon, salmon and cod. I also mix in a small amount of Cherry chips with the cob pieces. Dry the cobs slowly but very soon after eating using residual barbecue or oven heat and store them in a protected container. Chop when ready to use. Bet you'd love the results too.

To sample, check out Vermont's Daikin Farms or Singleton's Store online. You'll find a few other suppliers as well. They will ship.

GeoH

Im from MI and now 60yrs of age and have used corn cobs to smoke fish in spring run. And this is a good way to smoke. must soak in water , same as you would wood. And the flavor is Mild compared to a Hickory, and I believe as good as a elder.

I grew up in my dad's store and he exclusively used crushed corn cobs to smoke with.  He would get them from the local grist mill in 100 lb. burlap sacks a truckload at a time; us boys would have to use wheelbarrows and unload them and take them down into the 'corn cob room' in the cellar where they would stay dry.   Then, we'd have to carry them up into the meatroom one bag at a time, slitting the burlap bag and dumping the bag into a huge cardboard barrel that curing compound came in, and scoop out from there into a pail, which we'd carry down into the pit where we'd feed the smokehouses with, opening up the bottom door on the smokehouse and pull out the cast iron square pan that rode on two angle iron rails over a long propane burner, throwing two coal scoop scoopfulls on the smoldering embers, lingering a bit before shoving the pan back in and closing the door so we could watch the corn worms jump out and writhe on the hot coals, lol!

But, progress helped destroy that.  Pretty soon, farmers no longer shelled their corn in the field, so there were no longer tons of plain corn cobs.  The only thing grist mills ground into the 70's and 80's was ensilage; corn and cob together.  That was unsuitable for smoking for a few reasons; the corn made the fire burn too hot and instead of smoldering, it would ignite and likewise create grease fires in the smokehouses; The mix of corn and cob, crushed, would cause spontaneous combustion if the bags were the least damp or the corn moisture was too high; the weight of the corn/cob mix tripled the cost of the bag (100 lbs of ground ensilage was a third the size of the 100 lb bags of straight cobs).  By that time, my dad had passed away and mom hit 70 and wanted to sell the store, and the end of corn cob smoked hams and bacons was drawn to a close in 1988.

Todd has supplies of the corn cob pellets.  He sent me some to test.  They are harder to start, but can be done, and they are like a softwood, will burn faster, a tray full for about 5-6 hours vs. 10-11.  But, they give that sweeter corn cob aroma that I so dearly enjoy from my childhood, waking up, my room in the winter filled with that delicious aroma, dad smoking hams and bacons continuously for Thanksgiving and Christmas seasons.

Some Tractor Supply places carry bags of the corn cob pellets for animal bedding too.  What i do now is lay a base of Pitmaster Blend pellets in my AMNPS, then top it with corn cob pellets so I get the longer-burning hardwood pellets mixed with the sweetness of the corn cob pellets:

Pitmaster Blend:

963638e3_007.jpeg

topped with corn cob pellets:

f8f92a75_010.jpeg

and lit up!

Yes, if you can find corn cob bedding and it is is unadulterated, you can smoke with it!   Either in an AMNPS, or just toss a handful into your smoking pan every ½ hour or so!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky