Smoking under a gazebo

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ColoradoSmoker90

Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 24, 2021
Hey all,

We have a tall, steel gazebo covering our back patio. It does have openings near the top so it will have good air flow. My question is, is using my electric smoker under the gazebo a no-go? Could the smoke cause staining or discoloration?

Reactions: JLeonard
I cooked under my porch when I was in stationed in Hawaii almost 6 days a week between my MES and kettle. And never had an issue with the electric but the charcoal from the kettle started to leave spots until I moved it. I’d just watch it and pressure wash it if you can every now and then.

I had an attractive brown cloth-covered gazebo but it didn't last a summer. It's not that the cloth wore out but it just got too splattered with bird droppings to sneak into the wife's washer. Replaced it with (cheap) corrugated steel roofing panels. Works great and have only had to hose off the outside...no smoke discoloration on the inside at all after 2 years of approx weekly usage.

Reactions: ColoradoSmoker90
What happened to THIN BLUE SMOKE!?!?
If you are putting out so much Heavy Smoke that it STAINS STEEL, 5+ Feet above the Smoker...You are doing it Wrong!...JJ
I will keep the thin blue in mind lol! I haven't smoked yet, my friend. Fingers crossed I don't put out heavy smoke!

Hey all,

We have a tall, steel gazebo covering our back patio. It does have openings near the top so it will have good air flow. My question is, is using my electric smoker under the gazebo a no-go? Could the smoke cause staining or discoloration?

I've been using my MES 40 on a wood platform, 2' off the floor of my Front Porch, attached to an All Wood Log House, with a Wood Ceiling above.
I never had a problem, in over 10 years, however I never sleep or go away, while it's in use.

Bear

I have an aluminum roof over my back patio. It is white & I have moved every one of my smokers under that roof & have no smoke stains at all.
Al

I will keep the thin blue in mind lol! I haven't smoked yet, my friend. Fingers crossed I don't put out heavy smoke!

You are going to be fine. I cant imagine any situation, short of a huge Grease Fire, that could stain the roof. The amount of smoke generated is really not that much.
I get more smoke generated lighting Charcoal in my Kettle, than my smoker generates...JJ

Reactions: bill1 and JLeonard
Hey all,

Hi there and welcome!!!

if you have open walls (i'm thinking like that of a pop up canopy and the roof is material is higher than 7ft AND you producing Thin Blue Smoke (TBS) you should have no problem at all. The slightest 1mph wind movement or breeze will keep the smoke moving horizontally as it dissipates.

Now if next to a wall or something a few feet over and the smoke runs and rises along that surface then you will get stains there.
Just pull the smoker to a spot where the smoke will carry sideways easily and you are golden :)

If your smoker is throwing smoke like a semi going uphill wide open in low gear then you might have a problem (actually more than one). But, Generally with the gazebo your describing I dont see there being a collection of thin blue smoke enough to stain.
Jim

Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky