Smoking Tri Tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Full of smoke

Original poster
Aug 21, 2018
So, this is my second Tri Tip I have smoked. I cannot get over how quick the smoke is 2 1/2 hours ish. The flavor and ability to turn this slab into any meal i want. So far my favorite after the initial chow down is making an old fashioned sandwich and some firehouse coleslaw to go with it.

Attachments

• 20180720_163318.jpg
    20180720_163318.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 20180414_154929.jpg
    20180414_154929.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 52
  • 20180414_165417.jpg
    20180414_165417.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 51
Last Tri-Tip I made was on the gas barby. It got over done, and was a great disappointment to my wife.
I think I want to make the next, if I'm allowed, in my MES 30 and mostly just as an outdoor oven. (Most of the Family does not like smoked meat. :confused::( )
Then a quick sear to fool them, and Wa-La... bloody meat. :p:D

Reactions: Full of smoke
Last Tri-Tip I made was on the gas barby. It got over done, and was a great disappointment to my wife.
I think I want to make the next, if I'm allowed, in my MES 30 and mostly just as an outdoor oven. (Most of the Family does not like smoked meat. :confused::( )
Then a quick sear to fool them, and Wa-La... bloody meat. :p:D
They will never know muahaha

Gosh I wish we could get TT's here for a decent price. I might as well buy a ribeye.
Al
The prices here are ok because no one knows what it is. When I asked my butcher if he had some he grinned and whispered "best kept secret".

SonnyE yes do not over cook. I run mine with a meat probe - Sear both sides HARD! then indirect to 127F then wrap and rest for 15 or 20 min...

They are delish!

Reactions: SonnyE
SonnyE yes do not over cook. I run mine with a meat probe - Sear both sides HARD! then indirect to 127F then wrap and rest for 15 or 20 min...

They are delish!

Thanks Zippy! I think mine hit something near 190°. :(:oops:

No excuses, I was also boiling crab at the same time.
I don't "Multi task" well at cookin... :oops::rolleyes:o_O LOL!

It all disappeared. :D

I recently did my first Tri Tip over the Labor Day weekend. Used my MES and a digital probe. Smoked at 225 to an internal temp of 135 then wrapped for half an hour. It was slightly pink inside but so juicy delicious!! Rubbed with Montreal steak seasoning.
tri tip.jpg

I recently did my first Tri Tip over the Labor Day weekend. Used my MES and a digital probe. Smoked at 225 to an internal temp of 135 then wrapped for half an hour. It was slightly pink inside but so juicy delicious!! Rubbed with Montreal steak seasoning. View attachment 375687
Thats what I use on mine as well --- I also add chili powder, garlic and anything else near that sounds good at the moment!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky