• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Smoking Tofu

DPB

SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 7, 2018
This may be a double post. A friend asked me to smoke some Tofu. My question is what is the best smoke (apple, hickory) and do you need to wrap like cheese to rest for 15 days.

smokerjim

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 14, 2014
huh! smoked tofu what kind of friends ya have! that stuff isn't even allowed on my property never mind my smoker. anyway i have know idea but i'm sure you'll get some answers.

Gecko10

Smoke Blower
Joined Jun 8, 2020
Ralphhhhh. Sound of me retching.:emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing::emoji_laughing: Seriously, I would cold smoke, like cheese using hickory (or sagebrush) to give it some sort of taste.

Last edited:

bbqbrett

Master of the Pit
Joined Jan 17, 2013
Step 1. Get hickory smoke to add a strong flavor.

Step 2. Substitute your favorite meat for the tofu.

Seriously though never tried or even thought about smoking tofu but I imagine like Gecko said before you would probably want to cold smoke.

mbassom

Fire Starter
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 2, 2020
My sister is vegetarian, so sadly I have made smoked tofu several times. The stronger woods work better as tofu doesn't have a lot of flavor on its own (cherry, hickory etc), but I have done it with pecan as well. I tried with apple and she said it didn't have a lot of flavor.

I have never wrapped it, just smoke it for a couple hours and then she eats it. Not sure if it "should" be wrapped, but since I HOT smoke I didn't worry about it.

I personally have never eaten it so I can't say for sure how it came out can only take her word for it.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Well I guess I’m the lone wolf here, but I like & eat a lot of tofu.
I have never tried smoking it, but will for sure after seeing the link, jcam222 jcam222 put up. It looks real good to me.
Al

DPB

SMF Premier Member
Joined Nov 7, 2018
Thank for response for smoking Tofu, I did cold smoke the jello textured stuff. I used Pecan pellets in smoke sticks on parchment paper.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.