• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Smoking the Bird

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
Should be tasty! Roadside chickens a good way to go!

Now show us some Q-view!

hogsmokers69s

Joined May 31, 2015
I think I didn't let it stay at 165 long enough.

Breast was good but there was some pink in the joints yo.

Flavor is awesome but ended up putting in the oven for a bit, shoulda probed better before I pulled out.

rdwhahb

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 16, 2013
Great looking bird!!

I bring my birds up to 170 - 175 always juicy and tender.

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jan 4, 2014
Looks good from here!

Keep in mind, even a fully cooked bird can have some pink in the joints from proteins, etc...  The USDA says that as long as ALL of the chicken meat is at 165 or above, you're safe.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
That's a good looking chicken!

The skin color is perfect!

Al

crxman

Joined Sep 9, 2015
heres a question. is it better to use the chicken stand rather than just placing them on the rack? great looking chicken btw!

one eyed jack

Master of the Pit
Joined Oct 11, 2014

heres a question. is it better to use the chicken stand rather than just placing them on the rack? great looking chicken btw!
I used to "beer can" chicken,  don't anymore.  I no longer "low and slow" chicken either.  I use a Weber kettle, (Try and get the grill temp to 300* or higher, indirect heat source).  Separate the pieces, throw em on the grate, keep a sharp eye on internal temp and pull promptly.

akdutchguy

Meat Mopper
Joined Mar 30, 2013
I don't think I will do another whole bird without spatching it. I cooked the last one at 350 in the uds. Skin was crisp. Came out perfect. I love the color on yours. I'm liking cherry more and more for a lot of my cooks. Nice bird.
Jason

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.