Smoking sopresatta ??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Edude273

Original poster
Dec 29, 2018
Making sopresatta with the in laws and they wanted to see if I wanted to put some in the smoker. Should I cold smoke them for a couple hours before they sit in the cold cellar for a couple months to dry? I don't want them to spoil so maybe move them back and forth from fridge to smoker?

cold or hot smoke?
Haha that's what I'm asking. We only use salt and spices no nitrite or "cure". Once in the casing we wipe them dry, dip the ends in salt and hang them in the cold cellar for about 4 to 6 weeks. I have a propane smoker but I'd just burn a few lumps of charcoal, toss wood chips on them and throw that into the smoker pan to get started and just add more wood/charcoal as needed. Would that work or do I need to run it at 180 for a couple hours and get them back in the fridge so I dont mess around in the danger zone.

Haha that's what I'm asking. We only use salt and spices no nitrite or "cure". Once in the casing we wipe them dry, dip the ends in salt and hang them in the cold cellar for about 4 to 6 weeks. I have a propane smoker but I'd just burn a few lumps of charcoal, toss wood chips on them and throw that into the smoker pan to get started and just add more wood/charcoal as needed. Would that work or do I need to run it at 180 for a couple hours and get them back in the fridge so I dont mess around in the danger zone.
Couple months to dry and smoke at 180 for 2h? No disrespect but you don't sound like you know what you are doing.

Since you used no cure you need to keep the sausage below 4C at all times. You can cold smoke it under this temp. The "add charcoal as needed" format is not a safe cold smoking setup. Buy the amazen smoker and build a mailbox mod. In a hurry use a cardboard box and the soup can-soldering iron setup.

Don't smoke meat at temps as high as 180f without finishing cooking.

Couple months to dry and smoke at 180 for 2h? No disrespect but you don't sound like you know what you are doing.

Since you used no cure you need to keep the sausage below 4C at all times. You can cold smoke it under this temp. The "add charcoal as needed" format is not a safe cold smoking setup. Buy the amazen smoker and build a mailbox mod. In a hurry use a cardboard box and the soup can-soldering iron setup.

Don't smoke meat at temps as high as 180f without finishing cooking.

I know exactly what I am doing I'm just asking for fun!!!! If I knew what I was doing why would I ask how to do it, DUH? Thanks for the advise though

I know exactly what I am doing I'm just asking for fun!!!! If I knew what I was doing why would I ask how to do it, DUH? Thanks for the advise though

So you know what your doing??? Then why post the question here? Just post what you are doing an how it turns out.

Reactions: flatbroke
I was being sarcastic good sir. Doesn't work so well in text I guess

Your only option to add smoke without changing the texture, flavor or nature of the beast, is to Cold Smoke, between 32 and 40°F. Above 40, bacteria in the sausages interior can grow. Cure offers protection from the bacteria that causes Botulism. We realize there are Old World Salt Only Recipes, but they have been developed to work following the procedure passed down the generations and making changes, like Smoking, can have an unintended or unsafe result...JJ

THE OWNERS AND STAFF OF SMF DOES NOT SUPPORT LONG TERM DRY CURING OF GROUND MEAT SAUSAGES USING SALT ONLY.

Reactions: Walchit and kit s
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky