Smoking Smaller Portions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Swampworks

Original poster
Oct 13, 2017
I understand that low and slow is the method agreed to by most. I also understand that basically, the overall cook time is largely controlled by the size/weight of the piece. That said, would cutting the whole piece (boston butt) into smaller chunks significantly decrease the cooking time?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JLeonard
I understand that low and low is the method agreed to by most. I also understand that basically, the overall cook time is largely controlled by the size/weight of the piece. That said, would cutting the whole piece (boston butt) into smaller chunks significantly decrease the cooking time?
It can. Honestly if we are talking butts you will likely find many, self included in who do hot and fast. I do butts at 275F , wrap in pan at 165 and depending on time needs will finish at 275-300F. Plenty of pros do that as well.

I'm with Jeff. 275-300 for me.
I can't differentiate between the 2 methods in taste and like to speed things up a bit !

Keith

Reactions: jcam222
I also understand that basically, the overall cook time is largely controlled by the size/weight of the piece. That said, would cutting the whole piece (boston butt) into smaller chunks significantly decrease the cooking time?
I have done many smaller cuts of pork butt on my Weber Jumbo Joe for the charcoal as well as a pellet smoke tube for flavor. Pork is panned. After a few hours in the Joe, I wrap the pan and put in an oven at 225° for 5 hours.

I understand that low and low is the method agreed to by most. I also understand that basically, the overall cook time is largely controlled by the size/weight of the piece. That said, would cutting the whole piece (boston butt) into smaller chunks significantly decrease the cooking time?
Hi there and welcome!

A smaller amount of meat will cook faster yes but I find that at a certain size and thickness you don't get time savings so much as you go down in size.

I'm in the boat of just up the temp for a pork butt because it doesn't care what temp you cook/smoke it at :)

Cutting to smaller portions gives you more surface area for the rub, that means more more bark.

Reactions: bill1
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky