Smoking pork Belly suggestions needed.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tarnak

Original poster
Jan 20, 2016
Good day all, so I was wondering, has anyone smoked pork belly?  For some reason I want to try it, and I have no idea how to go about it.  I dont want to make bacon of course.  Any suggestions and points would be great.

Thanks.

I have some that I just covered in my pork rub with a heavy coat, and will put on the smoker tomorrow.

Will run smoker at 225-250 with a mix of cherry wood and hickory until the IT of the belly is around 190.

Then will move it closer to the firebox to sear until IT of 203. While it is searing I will brush on a 50/50 

mixture of honey and sriracha.

This is a 1 1/2 lb off a 9 lb belly that I have used 5lbs to make bacon, and have just smoked some to make belly sandwich out of.

I have not tried the burnt ends with belly but as stated above, alot have tried and liked.

The smoked belly goes really good on top of a hamburger. 

Since the belly comes off the ribs section of the pig I've always been curious for someone to treat it like "bonless" ribs and cook it the same way.  Other than the extra fat on the outside and the skin, the meat is basically the same as the rib meat.

I'm curious what you decide on and will be watching :)

Thanks for the input, sounds like its fairly basic.  maybe try it out in a week or two after I gather some more info. 

Thanks again.

Since the belly comes off the ribs section of the pig I've always been curious for someone to treat it like "bonless" ribs and cook it the same way.  Other than the extra fat on the outside and the skin, the meat is basically the same as the rib meat.

I'm curious what you decide on and will be watching :)
that sounds like a good idea, i do a ton of ribs, so it would be interesting to treat the belly in a similar way.

There have been several threads on belly burnt ends lately.

I think I would at least take a piece of it & give that a try.

They sure look delicious!

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky