Smoking oysters first time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noble captain

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 15, 2016
narin Louisiana
We are from south louisiana and my neighbor is a oyster fishermen, my husband and I are both captain's, and we hunt. Yesterday I decided to cook a 15 lb brisket and we have a whole sack of oysters that we have been eating raw. We usually eat them raw and shuck the rest to freeze and cook later. Today I added them to the smoker. Wow. What a traet. So I decided to share.
The smoker is at 235 to 250 we added them a tray at a time to figure out how smokiness we wanted and how cooked. Turns out at this temp. It takes a little over an hour the bigger oysters take about 90 min . The marinade is chardonnay hot sauce and olive oil. With a mop. They are great. Then becouse we have so many we have added some micro pained garlic and scallions even better .
20171230_122049.jpg
20171230_113652.jpg
20171230_122049.jpg
20171230_113652.jpg
20171230_122049.jpg 20171230_113652.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20171230_114206377.jpg
    IMG_20171230_114206377.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 77
Oh my goodness those look fantastic.
I just love oysters any way you make them.
I'm like you, I usually eat them raw, but have never smoked them.
I'm going to have to try this!
Congrats on making the carousel!
Al

Reactions: noble captain
Thank you,
We ended up with so many I put them in two jars of extra virgin olive oil with some sprigs of lemon time and rosemary and som garlic. I cant wait to get in on them again.
20171231_144128.jpg

Wow, It all looks great..... Point for sure. Love me some oysters as well. Would love to try that some day....

We are from south louisiana and my neighbor is a oyster fishermen, my husband and I are both captain's, and we hunt. Yesterday I decided to cook a 15 lb brisket and we have a whole sack of oysters that we have been eating raw. We usually eat them raw and shuck the rest to freeze and cook later. Today I added them to the smoker. Wow. What a traet. So I decided to share.
The smoker is at 235 to 250 we added them a tray at a time to figure out how smokiness we wanted and how cooked. Turns out at this temp. It takes a little over an hour the bigger oysters take about 90 min . The marinade is chardonnay hot sauce and olive oil. With a mop. They are great. Then becouse we have so many we have added some micro pained garlic and scallions even better . View attachment 348894 View attachment 348895 View attachment 348894 View attachment 348895 View attachment 348894 View attachment 348895
We used to have several oyster bars around our NE Florida area but they've all but disappeared.
Wife likes 'em raw and I like slightly steamed so they're easier to open. I also like a bit of Tabasco or horseradish for the bite.
Never had 'em smoked but I plan to change that soon.

That looks delicious! The brisket looks to be a little underdone. The connective tissue hasn't broken down. Great smoke ring!

Mike

Mighty fine looking meal Captain. I could eat both the brisket and oysters.

Point for sure.

chris

Wow! I LOVE smoked oysters.
Those look Great Captain!
And I'd like some Brisket, too.
Dry is OK, it's just a different style. I sure wouldn't complain, I'd just bring more beer or wine or sweet tea to the table.
Gravy is nice, too.
Nice smoke rings!
Smoked Oysters on the Half Shell! You just gave my Doctor a stroke. LOL!

Reactions: noble captain
Oh yes .. love oysters anyway but raw .. they look great .. We top off with a drop of hot sauce .. points to you

I'm with Griz!! Any way but raw.---Must be a Bear Thing.
Oysters Look Great Captain!!:)
So does the Brisket.
Like.

Bear

I've met Brent @ the marina. Knew his dad when he owned the marina...small world.
Wow I'm a transplant from key largo Florida Brent and I met when I was fishing a tournament. Small world. He is on here to as little b . His dad isn't a fan of me . I'm independent and Cuban lol . But cool that you know them. Look us up next time ur down. I'll make good on the oysters given notice lol.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky