Smoking one brisket and two pork butts together?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lmkolb3

Original poster
Oct 19, 2021
Hey guys! This weekend, I'm looking to smoke one whole brisket and two pork butts on my Masterbuilt Gravity Series 1050 smoker for an event at the house on Sunday. Ideally, I'm looking to have around a 14lb whole brisket and two 6-7lb butts.

While I've "mastered" brisket and pork butt separately, this would be my first time smoking the two together. Any tips or suggestions that may be helpful?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to SMF!

No need to do anything differently.. just put them in and if one finishes ahead of the other then a wrap and a nap in a cooler will keep all things together for the finish! Good luck and post pictures !

Thanks for the feedback guys! Another question to throw out: as far as placement, brisket above pork, or pork above brisket??
Here is the space I’m working with on the 1050:
image.jpg

Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome to SMF!

No need to do anything differently.. just put them in and if one finishes ahead of the other then a wrap and a nap in a cooler will keep all things together for the finish! Good luck and post pictures !
Thanks! Would you say the safer bet is putting everything on at the same time, or wait and put the pork on after the brisket’s smoked for a bit? My only concern is the pork wrapping up much sooner than the brisket!

Good Luck! If it was me I would put the brisket above the butts. Otherwise the brisket will have a porcine flavor, not saying it's a bad thing mind you. I'll be watching this one.

Reactions: DanMcG
I would do just the opposite, put the brisket under the butts.
Why, because the butts will generate much more juice to keep the brisket basted, and I don’t think you will be able to tell wether the fat juice is from beef or pork.
Al

Put all the meat on at the same time. What ever gets done early will stay hot, foil and towel wrapped, in a cooler 5-8 hours or more...JJ

Reactions: Ringer and TNJAKE
Getting closer to go time, and slightly tweaked my plans. Instead of two pork butts, I only got one weighing in about 11 lbs. The brisket is about 13.5 lbs.

Think I've decided to place the brisket on the bottom rack, with the pork on middle rack. I'll also be having a small pan in the bottom of the smoker (underneath the pork if room) with a mix of Apple Cider Vinegar and Cranberry-grape juice; I've always found the crangrape adds just a slightly sweet note that compliments the meat well.

I'll be getting started later tomorrow night to hopefully pull everything off around 3pm or sooner on Sunday for ample rest time. I'll be sure to post pics and let you guys know how everything turns out. Thanks again for the feedback!

Sounds like a good plan but are you sure that's not 2 butts packaged together ?
They seal them so tight that it can appear to be 1.

Sounds like a good plan but are you sure that's not 2 butts packaged together ?
They seal them so tight that it can appear to be 1.
That actually crossed my mind, but fortunately it’s one butt!

Happy to report that everything went according to plan! Meat turned out perfect!

Put everything on the smoker last night around 10pm. Strangely enough, the brisket cooked slightly quicker than the pork butt. After a decent foil-and-towel rest in a cooler, dinner was served around 6pm. No complaints from anyone. Here are some pics from the cook:

497323F4-D06D-40DC-B3F9-C9D4CA68E6CC.jpeg

Attachments

• 4AF138A2-E5A0-4425-8770-E230AF4CB2D9.jpeg
    4AF138A2-E5A0-4425-8770-E230AF4CB2D9.jpeg
    79.7 KB · Views: 23
  • FBA32DD9-2142-454E-BDE2-27D5E30AF413.jpeg
    FBA32DD9-2142-454E-BDE2-27D5E30AF413.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 23911A94-0C33-44EA-9485-D8E625702635.jpeg
    23911A94-0C33-44EA-9485-D8E625702635.jpeg
    156.6 KB · Views: 25
I did the same thing this weekend … 2 - 8.5 lb boneless pork butts and a 13 lb brisket.
I decided to butterfly the butts since they already had the blade removed and also to maybe reduce the cook time. Everything cooked at the same rate and took
D5167C98-D45A-43D6-BBCE-E8B651C44C17.jpeg
513CAD4F-BFAE-447A-B25E-84D8CD0D09D1.jpeg
10 hours.

I also tried rendering some fat pieces in a foil cup on the lower grate. I used the rendering to baste the brisket before wrapping.

Reactions: bauchjw and lmkolb3
Happy to report that everything went according to plan! Meat turned out perfect!

Put everything on the smoker last night around 10pm. Strangely enough, the brisket cooked slightly quicker than the pork butt. After a decent foil-and-towel rest in a cooler, dinner was served around 6pm. No complaints from anyone. Here are some pics from the cook:

View attachment 514429
Looks like you and the 1050 did a great job!

Reactions: lmkolb3
Looks real good. My guess on the Brisket is that it was getting a little more direct convection than the shoulder, which may be why the brisket finished first. You've got the shoulder above a foil pan with liquid, so that'll act as a heat sink and deflector - while the brisket is running direct over the manifold. Looks like a great cook!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky