• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Smoking Kingfish

dougk21

Joined Jul 26, 2017
Hello, I am stumped on how to smoke a Kingfish. I hear that a brine is the best way, however, I don't know what time, and temp, and for how long. Can anyone help? I think a fruit wood to add, but I am not sure.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 4, 2012
Try a dry brine. 4:1 brown sugar to kosher salt. Cover bottom of non-reactive dish with layer of brine. Place fillet on Brine. Cover fillet with brine. Add another layer of fish cover repeat as needed. Place in fridge for 6-8 hours.

Take out rinse well pat dry, season with whatever you like. Use powdered spices. Garlic, onion, black pepper, etc.

Place on a drying rack and allow the pellicle to form. This can take 2-4 hours.

Smoke. I’d use a mild wood. Apple, cherry, pecan, alder, peach are all good choices.

I like to smoke fish at lower temps and I use a step method. I start the smoker at 120-130 for the first hour. Then I upnthe pit temp 10 degrees every hour until I reach the desired IT (usually 145) for the fish or until the pit temp hits 170-180. You do not want your pit temp any higher as you’ll start rendering fat out.

lovethemeats

Smoking Fanatic
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Sep 17, 2015
Try a dry brine. 4:1 brown sugar to kosher salt. Cover bottom of non-reactive dish with layer of brine. Place fillet on Brine. Cover fillet with brine. Add another layer of fish cover repeat as needed. Place in fridge for 6-8 hours.

Take out rinse well pat dry, season with whatever you like. Use powdered spices. Garlic, onion, black pepper, etc.

Place on a drying rack and allow the pellicle to form. This can take 2-4 hours.

Smoke. I’d use a mild wood. Apple, cherry, pecan, alder, peach are all good choices.

I like to smoke fish at lower temps and I use a step method. I start the smoker at 120-130 for the first hour. Then I upnthe pit temp 10 degrees every hour until I reach the desired IT (usually 145) for the fish or until the pit temp hits 170-180. You do not want your pit temp any higher as you’ll start rendering fat out.
You follow what dirtsailor2003 said and you'll have some awesome tasty fish to enjoy.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.