Smoking in the rain

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

69thunderbird

Original poster
Jul 8, 2016
Oklahoma
I've got family visiting from out of state over Christmas. I'm planning on smoking a turkey breast and some ham for them. Forecast is calling for rain with temps in the 60's. If I put up a patio umbrella over the smoker, will I have any problems?

You shouldn't unless you have windy conditions along with the rain. I use on on my smoker when it's snowing or raining. It helps keeps the moisture off the smoke chamber. You should always mention what kind of smoker you have when posing questions. This is my set up. I have a  pipe welded onto the smoker that the umbrella staff slides into with a t handle that screws into it to hold the staff tightly. If it's really a down pour I have a 13X13 pop up canopy I can put it under.

If you have an electric smoker, you will want to keep it as dry as possible.

If it's propane or charcoal, it's not so much of an issue.

Same goes for a wood burner.

Al

Thanks for the replies. 3montes, I like your set up, I just might do something similar, or break out my 8x10 canapoy. I'm using a char-Griller 5050.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky