Smoking chicken on Primo XL with a rotisserie setup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

time916

Original poster
Sep 5, 2010
Rocklin, CA
Hey folks,
Its been a minute since I posted here.
My wife bought me a rotisserie for my Primo XL ceramic smoker! I've got a couple of questions for how to do this right.
First is how do set up the firebox. I believe I cook it directly over the charcoal... no heat deflectors plates, grill etc. I do plan to put a drip pan directly under the chicken with the lump all around it to avoid a big mess afterwards...

My second question is a little trickier. Everything I've read says to cook at about 325 at the rotisserie level. I'm not to impressed with the accuracy of the dome thermometer, so thought I would leave it in place, but thread a Maverick pit probe through the hole, and clip it to the dome thermometer probe... But if I do that, I'll need to close up the hole to avoid unwanted air... or is that even something I need to worry about? If I do need to worry about it, any suggestions about what I can use to plug up the hole?

Anybody have any thoughts on how to be successful on this new adventure?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky