Smoking baby back ribs on the Traeger...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tmartin89

Original poster
May 6, 2019
I've been using the 3-2-1 method and just the Traeger recipe and they've been coming out pretty good but I'd really like them more tender. I usually apply mustard, apple juice, and worcestershire sauce and then season with Traeger pork and poultry rub. I put directly on the smoker at 180 for 3 hours, remove, add brown sugar, honey and more apple juice then wrap in foil, bump up to 225, cook for additional 2 hours, remove from smoker, remove foil and apply with barbecue sauce then back on the smoker for another hour.

Any advice/tips/comments would be greatly appreciated!!!

If you want them more tender add more moisture to the foil wrap and keep them wrapped a little longer.

I hardly ever do baby backs but 180 to me is really low. I would increase the temp a bit or increase your time. I usually cook ribs around 225.

I think the reason they do 180 degrees is becuase treeger calls that the smoke setting. 225 will also be Smokey. Kinda funny it’s a huge sin on here to see white smoke on a stick burner but it’s the holy grail on a pellet smoker lol

Reactions: flatbroke
That's interesting about the temperature settings on a pellet smoker. I'll go back to chopping wood now :-)

Same here. I got this walnut to up and add to the cooking pile. It’s hard to split so this will make it much easier. This is English walnut I think. I’ve got black also. Looks similar
03BF4850-4F8D-4BB2-9346-829F00753D1B.jpeg

Thanks for the input! After watching several video it seems most Pitmasters keep it at around 275 so I'll try again and increase the temp. I already add apple juice in the foil. Probably just need to raise the temp.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky