Smoking Advice - Char Griller Smokin Pro

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jerry82TX

Original poster
May 16, 2018
I have a smokin pro, and looking to do my second smoke in a few weeks. I am planning to smoke a 13# brisket, 8# pork butt, two racks of baby backs, and four kielbasa links. Do y’all think i can fit it all and smoke all at once, or should I do brisket and pork butt day before, and ribs and sausage morning of?

If you don't have two racks on that puppy then I would say all of that would be a pretty tight fit. I don't think that's much bigger if any than my OKJ. I only have one cooking level and I would not put all of that on there at once. The brisket will take up a large area of that cooking space. If you are talking pre cooked kielbasa that just needs heat then that would be no trouble at all. It's only going to need to be on the smoker for a short time. 30-45 minutes tops. I'm thinking that something is going to be too close to the firebox for comfort unless you really dial back the heat. If it were me I would cook the brisket by itself and then go with all of the pork at the same time and the kielbasa would either be a snack for while everything else cooked or I would just put in on about 30 minutes from when you wanted to eat. Just my take on it.

George

Reactions: Jerry82TX
If you don't have two racks on that puppy then I would say all of that would be a pretty tight fit. I don't think that's much bigger if any than my OKJ. I only have one cooking level and I would not put all of that on there at once. The brisket will take up a large area of that cooking space. If you are talking pre cooked kielbasa that just needs heat then that would be no trouble at all. It's only going to need to be on the smoker for a short time. 30-45 minutes tops. I'm thinking that something is going to be too close to the firebox for comfort unless you really dial back the heat. If it were me I would cook the brisket by itself and then go with all of the pork at the same time and the kielbasa would either be a snack for while everything else cooked or I would just put in on about 30 minutes from when you wanted to eat. Just my take on it.

George
Thank you! I do have an upper rack. I was just concerned that amount of food might make it hard to keep my temp up enough.

The amount of food you load will have an effect on the internal temp but I don't believe it should be a large concern if you can fit everything in. I'd love to have thay upper rack on my smoker but I get by pretty well as is. Sounds like a fun smoke is in your future.

George

Reactions: Jerry82TX
I would suggest doing your overall spread in two separate cooks. You are talking about a lot of food, On my smokin pro 3 racks of ribs is about max for the main cooking grate, you can fit 2 on the upper rack, but with a large hunk of brisket and a pork should your really asking too much for the space you have. Not to mention I won't cook in the first 6" closest to the FB account of the heavy heat.

Thanks for the heads up.

What I have done to be able to use the whole cooking rack is do the mod where you flip the charcoal tray over (upside down U shape), and put it on bricks. This protects it from the direct fire, and gives you the ability to cook more! If you want to check it out, google it and you can watch a youtube video.

I ended up cooking the brisket, pork butt, chicken, and ribs all at the same time. I did the sausage the next day. All of it came out great!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky