smoking a wild turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bassrat

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 22, 2006
iowa
rec. a wild turkey from a friend, want to smoke it in the gas smoker, do you have to brine it, can you inject it like when you deep fat fry one?
this is a great fourm, so much knowledge
thanks!!!!!!!!!
rat

Wild turkey is 100% different than tame turkey. No white meat, all dark meat even the breast. I have always cooked mine in the oven. If I was going to smoke it I would brine it.

I always hear others talking about drinking theirs.
wink.gif

Wild birds tend to have more dark meat and less fat than domestic ones because they get a LOT more exercise. Exercise is what makes the meat dark and since most domestic animals spend little or no time flying we're accustom to see white meat in the breast. I read an article on it once but can't recall the scientific aspects of it.

Since it is leaner, I've heard of folks using butter or bacon as a fat suppliment to keep the meat moist while cooking.

You can always drape sliced bacon over the breast and "pin" in it in place with some toothpicks. I'd use a fattier bacon and use the leaner stuff for breakfast.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky