smoking a wild turkey

Discussion in 'Wild Game' started by bassrat, Aug 24, 2006.

1. bassrat

bassrat Fire Starter

rec. a wild turkey from a friend, want to smoke it in the gas smoker, do you have to brine it, can you inject it like when you deep fat fry one?
    this is a great fourm, so much knowledge
    thanks!!!!!!!!!
    rat

2. cajunsmoker

cajunsmoker Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Wild turkey is 100% different than tame turkey. No white meat, all dark meat even the breast. I have always cooked mine in the oven. If I was going to smoke it I would brine it.

3. larry maddock

larry maddock Master of the Pit OTBS Member

yo rat dude,
    no matter how i cooked it ...
    i would brine and cure with mortons sugar cure.
    its so easy
    its so good.

4. bob-bqn

bob-bqn Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I always hear others talking about drinking theirs. [​IMG]

Wild birds tend to have more dark meat and less fat than domestic ones because they get a LOT more exercise. Exercise is what makes the meat dark and since most domestic animals spend little or no time flying we're accustom to see white meat in the breast. I read an article on it once but can't recall the scientific aspects of it.

Since it is leaner, I've heard of folks using butter or bacon as a fat suppliment to keep the meat moist while cooking.

5. dutch

dutch Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

You can always drape sliced bacon over the breast and "pin" in it in place with some toothpicks. I'd use a fattier bacon and use the leaner stuff for breakfast.